Pox on face? Scab? Pic included

austineight

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 8, 2012
Charleston, MO
115649_jess.jpg

I noticed this a few days ago, and was hoping it would clear up but it seems to be getting worse. It looks bigger and more like a scab than a chicken pox bump. One of my other chickens had the pox about a month ago but cleared up with time. Those were flatter. This is big and bulbous. Infected? Its black, and looks like it spread to her bottom "lip" too. Anyone had anything like this? She is a OEG self blue bantam, 3 months old. Thanks in advance for your help!

if you look inside the mouth are there yellow plaque like substances, these can block the entire mouth and can spread to the internal organs. This is Trichomonas. Usually acquired from wild birds sharing water sources with the chickens
If there are no yellow plaques.....
hu.gif

good luck

if it is dry pox don't worry about it, no need to cull, it will run its course and she won't get it again. there are many post here about pox, read up on it. wet pox is different and can be fatal.

WEll I looked in her mouth and did see yellow plaque. So I got metronidazole. I've been trying to crush it up and put it in her food but I don't know if she's getting the correct dosage. I noticed it seems to be getting worse now. She has a little scab above her eye and what looks to be a little plaque in her eye. I don't know if it's too late but I'm going to look on here and figure out maybe how to dispense medications better.

The dose for my large bantam that had it was 250mg Metronidazole once daily. An overdose looks neurologic. I had to tube feed my girl so that's how I got it in her. If I had to do it again without tube feeding I would try to get a liquid compound, but you can make a liquid, but they wont eat it cause it is nasty tasting.
Also, I was told (by Peter Brown, DVM who consulted with me on this case ALOT) to swab all the plaques I could see (in and out of her mouth) with betadine (iodine/povidone) once or twice daily. The plaques will respond and fall off.
The problem here is that if it has been going on for a while, she could have plaques on internal organs as well. I hope this is not the case for you as it was for me.
Lastly, this is transmissible through the water, so you will need to use Oxine (which is essentially dilute bleach) in the water. this can come from wild birds if they have access to the chicken water or if the chickens drink water out of puddles and things.
I am guessing there must be something other than oxine you can put in the water too, but i dont know what that might be. I ended up buying a thing of Oxine and only used it for a little while since it can only be used in plastic containers. I never had anyone but this one particular chicken get this. (thank goodness)
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions I might be able to help you with. I still have all the emails from when I consulted with Peter Brown on this disease.
Keep that chicken eating and Good luck!

This is something you do not need to cull for.
Fowl pox is pretty common and once they get over this, they can never get it again.
Yes with wet pox there is a chance it could be fatal.
But, There are a few people on here who have nursed their chickens back to health that had wet pox.
Separate the chicken from the others, so you prevent spreading it.
If the other chickens do get it, it doesn't necessarily mean they will get the wet form.
Wet pox can make it painful for them to eat, drink, and breath so you may end up having to force feed your chicken so she doesn't starve to death.
When my chicken had fowl pox, i fed her lots of scrambled eggs and yogurt.
You can even put vitamins and electrolytes in the water to boost the immune system and hopefully prevent a secondary infection.
I didn't do this, but i heard you can put iodine on the plaques, reference: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/98843/can-iodine-be-used-on-wet-pox-mouth-ulcers-update.
I wish you and your chickens well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom