practical peafowl for beginners?

backyardcelia

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
i have some basic q.s that while i may (or may not) find the answer in a book, i wonder about people's practical experience (you know things that all the theoretical writers don't seem to ever include in any detail) things that beginners can't know by virtue of being a beginner!

how many peacocks are optimum (from a peas perspective, not the human keeping/cleaning) and in what combination (male/female)? or what about combinations of old/young? (i mean, i'm interested in getting them as chicks, maybe eggs, but i wonder for future reference and current planning). like, say you have 4 and 1 dies, do you have to run out and get another so that the dynamic doesn't change? i always read people referring to pairs or trios, but never the why. (again, this is mainly for future reference, so i can plot enough space for a future spot.)

i think i've heard indian blue, but again i don't know why... the hardiness? but does that mean sickness wise or climate wise -or both (i am in new england, where it has been negative digits in recent nights).
and speaking of climate, are they adaptable to being penned in bad weather (&/or do they prefer it)and being allowed to roam more in good weather? and what if i end up having to keep them penned more often than not (predators)? that is my #1 fear, with the chickens as well... that i will be able to keep them out less, depending upon weather, the neighbor's dog's mood, or season/scarce food for bobcats or whatever... (but the chickens really seem to prefer to stay 'close to home', so i'm wondering if the same is true for the peas)

and speaking of health, i am concluding from what i've read, that it's advisable to keep chickens and peas separate?

and of course, i am not just looking for DOs... any DON'Ts would be super too... maybe even more helpful for a beginner!

Greetings!
I wonder if you have already looked through the stickies? There is a lot of great information in them (see below).
Also you'll find that many subjects have been discussed here; if you do a search, you can find opinions and advice about almost any topic. That's a good place to start to get a variety of opinions.

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

new2p, yes indeed i did (even though i still don't really understand the stickies, and only find them by accident), however, thank you so much ! but i haven't really arrived at any definitive opinions on said items... again often opinions but no real foundation as to the whys.... like for example, i would suppose some advice is based on primarily for breeding... well, what if i am not going to do that so that wouldn't apply.... and that sort of thing, is i suppose what i am wondering. i would think that there is some rhyme or reason for the trios and duos, other than breeding, but perhaps there is not? or that that would be part of the hardy factor- not just for this pea, but for their future pea posterity? i hope that makes some sort of sense- the gist of my q. i have a couple of books also that i have read, plus i've been checking different pea sites and lurking around BYC for some time now... i just know that from reading about chickens for two years, and then having them... well, practice and theory are so often so very different. and/or that sometimes just by being a beginner at something it is impossible to deduce the bottom line even with all the data in front of you.

and
casportpony, is that about person who had some turn up and then got spooked and rounded up off highway by police who asked to keep one? if so, i just so happened to have read that this a.m. and actually, that was really about the dynamics as much as the safety factor... (that person was worried that she should not have let birds be separated.) one of those short, matter of fact, yet informative threads! i love BYC! it's pretty much the ONLY thing i use my new smart phone for!

please do let me know if any other threads come to mind, there are so many to search through! it will take me a long time!

Well, here are a few thought that may or may not be helpful:
How many are optimum? And in what combination?
Peas are very social and really seem to need pea company. I'm guessing that from the pea's perspective, as long as they have at least one buddy all is well. However, there are 10 peas here (3 hens), and I have seen that they have a lot of shifting alliances, so maybe more peas = more opportunity for social interactions. They're smart birds so that may be nicer for them?
As far as male to female, perhaps too many males leads to more unfriendly breeding-time competition? These guys free range so each guy has his own showing-off territory, and there isn't too much aggression (a bit of chasing and an occasional showdown).
Why Indian Blue?
Unless you're thinking about greens (special requirements), choice of color and pattern seems to reflect the personal taste of the individual pea owners, or chance (for example, they were given a certain type of pea). You might consider: What do you like? What do you want to look at for 25 to 30 years???
The Pea/chicken question:
Comes up a lot here and definitely worth searching. Most nay-sayers to this combination are concerned with pea health.

There was another thread that talked about the pros and cons of having tame vs wild peafowl, but I can't remember what it was called.

Thanks :) I found a couple of pros and cons even! and a for dummies that I had previously read but saw something new...
Minxfox had some key points... & i paraphrase... blues because easier to find (that's brilliant!)& practically speaking less ri$k... blunt, but finally that one makes sense too!
I have a few more q. Too...
Do they make noise at night, whether predator prowling or what about dogs barking(all night long)? Will that set them off? And how about sunrise?

Are wild turkeys problematic...parasite wise? Or even just tormenting? (We've got a regular gang of about 20 that travel together!)

Thanks for Input thus far :) I have some more q. But another time, when I am not on silly cell phone!

Thanks
smile.png
I found a couple of pros and cons even! and a for dummies that I had previously read but saw something new...
Minxfox had some key points... & i paraphrase... blues because easier to find (that's brilliant!)& practically speaking less ri$k... blunt, but finally that one makes sense too!
I have a few more q. Too...
Do they make noise at night, whether predator prowling or what about dogs barking(all night long)? Will that set them off? And how about sunrise?
Are wild turkeys problematic...parasite wise?
Or even just tormenting? (We've got a regular gang of about 20 that travel together!)
Mine used to go check out the turkeys at the place we lived before here, and I read somewhere that some peafowl will join flocks of wild turkeys, but I don't know how true that is.

Thanks for Input thus far
smile.png
I have some more q. But another time, when I am not on silly cell phone!

Back
Top Bottom