Practice Eggs

JiDan

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2014
I asked my neighbor why my chickens lay small eggs and she told me, "Oh, they are just practice eggs." I have never raised chickens before, so I was unprepared when I saw these little eggs. I had been checking the nesting box every day hoping to find the first egg and when I did, I almost missed it because I was unprepared to see something that small (about half the size of a normal egg). I was delighted and took it in and cooked it. When I tasted it, it tasted... rich. It was so strong in flavor.

My question is this: as the eggs get bigger, will the richness of the egg temper off a bit?

Thanks a lot BYC friends.
Jidan

Yes, very common. Some girls will lay large ones from the start, but most start small and ramp up to full size.

Unless the yolk/white ratio was way off on that first one, I would expect your eggs to stay tasty like that!

It seems like they are mostly yoke and little white. I hope that it is not a mental problem with my taste buds.

Yikes,
They all jumped over the fence of my garden and had a pirrana feeding frenzy on my lettuce. There is nothing left but the nubs. One human cannot stand up to 16 hens who want lettuce. I'm sure I looked like a keystone cop chasing chickens all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom