Prayer request for Sadie

I hope that she recovers quickly. We lived in a rental house for a year when we first got married that was really close to the road and our 1 year old golden retriever ran out the door one day before I could grab her and got hit by a truck flying down the road. I ran to her and thought she was ok because she ran over to me but when I bent down to touch her my hand went inside her chest.
th.gif
We rushed her to the vet and she healed up really well. You might want to evaluate where Sadie's food is, we couldn't figure out why Daisy wasn't eating her food after she came home but she would eat from my hand... well finally I figured out that she was too sore to lean down to eat! Duh.. felt like a complete moron! Poor thing. I elevated her dish so that she didn't have to bend down and then she ate with her normal gusto. With Sadie having a hurt leg she will probably be lying down for a while (if you can keep her down) so she probably won't have that problem but just as an FYI - something to look out for.

Sadie sounds like a great dog, I am praying for a full recovery for her. I hope she is home soon. Thank you for the story's of Sadie please keep us posted on how she is doing.

Here is what Catherine posted on Facebook:

Well, Sadie is home. She ate and drank a bunch. I guess she is trying to make up for lost time. She is still very unsteady when she walks, and I am just in knots worried about her getting hurt or pulling out stitches. Thanks for all of your prayers. She is happy to be home. She just wags that tail!

She is doing fine. She has ben sleeping a lot. She has yet to have an "accident" inside. She walks outside and down two wheelchair ramps on her own. (The ramps are for catherine's Grandfather). Sadie woke Catherine at about 2am to go outside, but headed back in as soon as her personal business was done.

The vet did have to remove the entire right front leg. The drainage tube will come out Tuesday. As will the collar cone. (Cone is to keep her from pulling/biting the tube). The stictches come out the next Tuesday.

At night and when we must be gone, she is on a long leash with the leash looped around a doorknob with the door closed. She has free choice feed and water. When we are home she is on a leash, but free to roam the house. Sadie just drags the leash around with her. The leash is in case she goes under a bed and we can retrieve her. Has yet to do anything stupid like that.​

Thanks for the update.

"The vet did have to remove the entire right front leg."

Am I reading this correctly ?????!!!!!

Did you mean the whole leg removed? Oh my God, poor doggie.
My heart goes out to you and to your brave dog.

My friend adopted a dog with out two front legs
and they managing wonderfully.

Keep us posted.....

That poor puppy. Im so sorry she lost her leg, but she'll be fine. At least she's still with you, and thats whats important to her, and you.

Sadie is now "homeless"!

Yesterday, Catherine was brushing my 13 year old's hair. Catherine was in the office chair and our daughter was in the floor in front of her. Sadie came into our bedroom and Brenae spoke to her. Sadie got excited and wet at the foot of our bed. About 10 minutes before she refused to do anything outside.

When we got home last night, Sadie had reached as far as her lead rope would reach and wet in front of the kitchen sink.

This morning, Brenae was sitting in the kitchen and sweet talking Sadie. Same spot, Sadie wet again!

So come Tuesday and the vet visit, Sadie will be homeless! We have a patio that I am fencing this week. Until she is well she will have to call that home. We are also fencing a new area of the back for the animals. The paddocks will get 2'x2' doors hanging downwards with saloon door hinges. This will allow the dogs to go between paddocks without allowing birds to escape and mix. Catherine is wanting to get some young boers for the children to show at the county fair. Sadie will be assigned these to protect. You don't work around her you don't eat. And a poultry/livestock guardian dog (PLGD) has to work and pull their own weight around here.

Sadie had her stitches removed Tuesday. All is well. The vet said she was released to return to work in the pasture. Heard her barking a few minutes ago, so I checked on her. She heard something and went on the alert. Buddy and Sheba was also barking in the same direction. The vet said she may be a bit slower at running, but will be able to do her job as a livestock guardian dog. She is doing great! Almost back to normal behavior.

Thanks for everyone's thoughst and prayers!

Here is Sadie. Photo taken a few days ago.

47716_sadie_5_2011.jpg

ETA: We have installed a new paddock for the Buff Ducks. All new field fencing. Sadie will be assigned to protect them. It is near the house, but far away from the road.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom