prayer warriors (following Jesus Christ, everyone welcome)

I'm not wise by any means, but we decided that we need to put our marriage first. Certainly, when the kids are small, you do what they need, etc, but they'll grow up and leave and you'll still be a couple--you want to at least like each other! Other than that, you do the right thing regardless. If you need to apologize then do, if you need to step back from the stress then do it--you don't owe anyone a reason for what you do as long as you know you're right with God. And pray. I've seen prayer work wonders in ways I wouldn't have imagined. It's a wonderful thing when your loved ones turn around--read about Franklin Graham. I'll pray for you and yours.
Amen. Praying for you and your family @EggSighted4Life

@EggSighted4Life : You're in a bind. Here's my take on the situation. Buying stuff is not going to fix past hurts. All parents make mistakes. Some more than others. I would sit down with my son, and talk about the past. Admit errors, and ask for forgiveness. Then move on. Your son is free to forgive you or not. His choice.

Moving forward, I would stop providing financial support. That's hard when you find your adult children floundering. But, they will never truly achieve independence if you keep stepping in to save the day. Realize that you have different standards. If he wants to grow a hay field in the front yard, that's his choice. Perhaps the city zoning folks will get on his case about it. Perhaps the neighbors will shame him into doing something about it. More likely than not, this is a continuation of his passive aggression.

Provide lots of verbal encouragement when you can. Sometimes you have to look hard to find something praiseworthy. But, when you do, be sure to latch onto that.

Alcohol gifts: not a wise choice.

You are stuck in a tough situation b/c you see your husband making choices that you would not make. I'm guessing that being a submissive wife vs. trying to get him to change some of his reactionary behaviors is a tough line to walk.

Marriage is one of the hardest jobs there is. It takes a lot of hard work to build a strong marriage. Communication is key. Praise your hubby when he responds appropriately. Discuss management options privately and come up with a consensus that you can both agree on, especially when it comes to your son. I would not even buy him a gift without discussing the choices with spouse.

Back
Top Bottom