Prayers & Good Thoughts for my younger flock *UPDATE, the eggs*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, May 20, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Long story short, I can't talk about it right now or I'll start bawling all over again. Only my BYC family will understand.

We have been having severe storms for about 5 hours now.

Five cows busted down a fence. They annihilated my bigger, beautiful coop. Nestboxes smashed, feeders, waterers, broody crates, everything, gone!

I have one chicken dead, one 2 week old chick injured. I have a 7 week old chick trying her very best to mother 2 two week old chicks deep under the coop, in the mud. I tried for three hours to get them out (managed to get 5 out), before my DH literally had to drag me into the house. The thought of them falling prey to a predator tonight is more than I can stand.

I can't stop crying now. I won't sleep tonight.

Please good thoughts and prayers for my younger flock.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I am so sorry, those cows sure are making your life difficult!

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I'm so sorry Gritty. [​IMG] I hope the little ones stay safe through the night. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OH no!! Those very cows!! That guy HAS to do something about this!! Gah!!! Is he supposed to be fixing those fences or what??
    I love cows..but .... man..theres a LIMIT!
    I'm so so sorry [​IMG] .... [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Oh Grit, I am soooo sorry. [​IMG] Sending Good thoughts and wishes your way. [​IMG]

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Sounds like a much stronger fence needs to go in - woven wire then a hot strand off of that.

[​IMG] I will be thinking about those little chicks all night [​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:It was "fixed"!
    If I never see another cow again it will be too soon!
    Keith best lock up my shotgun tonight because the very next cow I see anywhere near my coops is going to get a buttload of bird shot.

The lease for the pastures goes back decades. It benefits both parties. The lease money pays our property taxes each year and it keeps us from having to maintain the pastures ourselves.

At this point I am ready to give Keith the money for the taxes out of my own pocket and allow someone, perhaps a farmer struggling to make it in this lousy economy, to come in and cut the hay for free. [​IMG]

8. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Oh my gosh. I will pray for sure! thats so sad [​IMG] . I teared up to the chick and her mom .... Please take care of yourself and good luck.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The young chick that is playing Mama for the night is "Sally" named after a dear BYC friend. She's in my avatar.

She's just a baby herself and a turken no less. It's so cold outside, but they are at the highest point under the coop they could possibly get.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh and does anybody know......?

We didn't have any spare nestboxes that we could get to easily.

For the night, along the wall where the nestboxes usually set, I just spread out a bunch of hay and sprinkled golf balls over it.

Think the hens will get the idea?

We'll have to do something about replacing their nestboxes tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by