Prayers & Good Thoughts for my younger flock *UPDATE, the eggs*

Quote:
The coop we can repair. DH did enough last night to get them safely locked in and put them up a roost so they could get off of the nasty bedding. Yeah, and you thought chickens messed up bedding quickly.

I just wanted my babies to be okay.

Gosh, Gritty, you have had a time of it! I'm so sorry the stinky cows are causing you so much trouble. Time to be billing their owner. Even if he doesn't live nearby, he still should have plans in place to keep his cattle restrained.
rant.gif

Hope today is calmer for you.
hugs.gif

Wow! glad it looks as if things have worked out. Time to borrow a bulldozer and SSS the entire herd.
hide.gif
Sounds as if they have gotten a taste of chicken feed and will keep coming back. Can you install electric fencing around your coops?

So when is the first Annual BYC BBQ at your house.......
gig.gif
Just sayin, BTW I like my steak Medium Rare
lau.gif

Glad you got the ones safe and sorry for the others......
hugs.gif

Quote:
We had one. It got fried up in a storm awhile back. We've been waiting to get another one till we could afford to purchase another weed burner type. They're on the more expensive side for the size we need. The less powerful ones just aren't worth it. Forgot to ask neighbor if he had one of the size and strength we need.
Herd owner/neighbor was up here today and we're getting everything sorted out. He's been busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest, his wife just had surgery again, he was up here searching for a missing bull today (I didn't have anything to do with it, I swear!
hide.gif
). We've had our issues with the big tractor continuously dying, me being sick, DH's work schedule, etc.
Now that things have settled down on both our ends, we can all put our heads together. Soon as the ground dries out a bit, the baby coop will be going out to the garden to join the brahma coop, hot wire going around both coops. Even if the hotwire fails, there will be a cattle panel fence plus a barbed wire fence between the cows and the two coops. End of cow vs. coop problems.

In the meantime, we'd have taken extra measures to make sure last night's performance won't be repeated. It's kinda hard to explain, but we are taking measures.

Oh and psst Sour, it's not the feed they're after. It's the litter. Cows love dirty chicken litter. And they say chickens are disgusting creatures!
sickbyc.gif

Also, yet another thing Gritty will wonder about till her dying day. How on earth a cow can poo in a nestbox - not on, not beside, but IN! one.

Last edited:
I haven't even started on my adult, only on the weekends, beverage and I'm already laughing my butt off. "IN a nestbox!"

I've always maintained that real life is really funny. It's questions such as this: "How on earth a cow can poo in a nestbox - not on, not beside, but IN! one" which just prove my point. The collision of comedy into tragedy careens us, like a banked cue ball, into another entirely different - and less painful - direction.

Thank you, Kat!

Yesterday I was worried about where the girls were going to lay, or whether they would at all with all the commotion.

One hen decided yesterday was the day to finally make up her mind about going broody, but she's a SF so just weird anyhow.

I got 7 eggs out of the baby coop, that's a good number from 9 "eligible" hens consideing everything. Then I went to the brahma coop. NINE eggs from 12 three year old hens when they've been in a molt for the last couple of weeks??? Not possible!

Brought the eggs in and starting looking at them a little closer. I know where the younger hens from the wrecked coop went to lay their eggs. The nestboxes look the same in both coops. I guess where nestboxes are concerned, if you can't be with the box you love.....

Back
Top Bottom