Pre-Done coop for 10 hens

mommato3girls

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2015
My daughter wants to do the 4H pullet project and get 10 chicks in the Spring. For her to do this we will have to build another coop/run. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good predone coop/run that we could buy and just put together? I am looking now because I am making her earn money herself to help pay for the coop/run, chicks, food, etc. Thanks for your help!

Hmmm, I've heard good things about the Amish built....is that part of SC too far south of the Amish?
Try going on your SC state thread and giving a shout out...
Check out Craigslist?

Out of work carpenters?
The local community college?

Don't forget cattle panel coops...lots of examples here on BYC!

Just some ideas to try....

Last edited:
Hi,
Well the chicken math will have something to do with it. For large fowl you will need 4 sq. ft. per bird inside and 10 sq. ft per bird outside. For bantams, 1/2 those numbers. So, thinking you will have large fowl ( like Sussex or Rhode Island Reds, or Orpingtons, you need some combination od inside dimensions which equal 4o sq. ft.
6x8 is go dimensions and cuts easily from lengths available at the stores. For the run, I always cover mine. Do make a walk in run. You won't regret it. Nothing sours faster then crawling on your hands and knees thru a 4 ft. high run after a reluctant hen, smile.
I use individual panels to make my run. very easy. I make 5 ft. wide panels which are 6 ft. high. I put in a horizontal crosspiece at the 3 ft. high mark to keep the panel from racking. In addition, now you can use 3 ft. high chicken wire to staple to the panels. 2 strips for each panel. Bolt the panels together with carriage bolts. Make a door with the same techniques which fits inside of a panel. Put some cross beams across the op of the run . Face it with chicken wire. Buy a quality tarp and roof the run with it. Buy those bungees with red balls on the ends. affix them to the tarp's grommets and pull them over the ends of nails you have driven in the side panels. Stretch them tight enough to hold but with some "give" so that if it gets wind the tarp has some "give" and doesn't rip.
The nice thing about this set up is that it's modular and you can extend the run in any direction to accommodate more birds. If you put in a peaked roof, the coop should have a cupola for proper ventilation. If a shed or salt box roof, out adjustable windows in on the high side of the high wall. Check on craigslist for some used adjustable windows. Here's a the wonderful article on Ventilation for your coop. It's a BYC classic.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom