Pre-fab Coop Question?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pokes79, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Pokes79

Pokes79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I made one coop and I really like it. I want to add about 10 more chickens, but the coop I built is too small for any more chickens. Are there any good pre-fab coops for a reasonable price, or will I have to build another to get a quality product? I'm lazy, and I am not excited about building another coop.

This is the tractor I built. I used the design from mobile stage coach:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    my goodness that is nice!!!

3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Wow I like it I need about four of them !!!!!!

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

A lot of pre-fabs stink. They are made of cheap wood that a large dog or possibly a racoon could pull the side off. I think what you have built is awesome and the best you are going to get.

PS I hope you add step by step details of how you built this on the webpage this would be something awesome to use as a coop/flight cage for my bobwhite quail

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  5. EricT

EricT Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Smithville, Tennessee
    I agree that the china made prefabs are cheaply made and don't hold up. We've had the "chicken hutch" since spring and don't see it lasting very long. The wood is thin and the whole thing just isn't sturdy at all.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Plastic play houses or portable sheds are the way to avoid building one. I built an 8 x 16 and it is nice and more than enough space for my 24 hens. It was costly tho because I can see it from my driveway and house, so it had to look good to make us happy. It is so well ventilated that it does not stink. I used two pieces of 36"plastic house guttering inside at 6" above floor, mounted to wall for both water and feed troughs. Great idea and birds cannot poop in them the way I did it and cannot tip either one over either. I did it to make it easy to remove and clean when necessary. I do clean the water one about every 2 weeks of litter and feathers. NO POOP THO.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My Royal Outdoor shed did very well and besides you can wash the inside of it! I loved it and it is still going six years strong!

8. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    Decatur??? I grew up in Warrensburg. Small world.
    Since I'm planning a coop and reading everything under the sun, I've noticed the "number of chickens it will hold" is way off most the time. One I read recently was approx 4x4 and claimed 7-9 birds. Based on the 4sq/ft/bird thats only 4 birds in reality.
    Scott

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by