Pre-fab coops?

AnimalGeek23

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
New York State
:frowHey y’all!
I’ve always been planning to buy a huge prefab coop for my chickens. It has a raised coop inside, and a not too big but not too small run. It’s enough to fit 4-6 hens, but I’m getting 3. Should that be their permanent home(if it doesn’t break or anything)? Techically everyone I know on BYC built their coop and have been saying that prefab coops aren’t that good... I canNOT build a coop tho! I’ll post a picture and the link to the site I’m buying the coop from soon. :)

Try to find a old used shed. They are easy to convert and less expensive to build from scratch.
I totally agree with this approach. If you are not that handy, this is the way to go. You could try to find a friend who is handy that could help you add windows, nest boxes, etc. that you will need. It's really much easier than you think to build. And starting out on a chicken coop is the way to go.

I don't like prefab coops either for all the reasons you've probably heard. They are usually not well designed for chickens, usually do not hold nearly as many as they say they will, usually have pretty poor ventilation, and the quality is often not that good. They can be pretty expensive. Still, a lot of people buy them and use them though many require some modifications. While a prefab coop may not be great it might be good enough for you.

Try to put a link to that site on here before you commit to buying it. If I see it I'll try to give an evaluation. You are in New York (thanks for that info) so your winters will be pretty rough. Although you are only planning for three they will be locked in the coop by weather a fair portion of the winter. They need more room than people with milder weather.

You say you cannot build a coop but you may have to assemble that one. Are you prepared to do that? If so you may be better off getting a shed, either off Craigslist if you can transport it and convert it to a coop or get a prefab shed from a big box store and convert that. In any case, will you need a foundation for what you select?

Another thought is to pick a small coop design up in the "Articles" section and get a quote from a handyman to build it for you. You will almost surely get better quality and the cost may not be that bad compared to the prefab with shipping and assembly.

It depends on your climate. Prefabs won't do in mine, but if I lived in Southern California I would think it would be fine.

It's also a good idea to cruise Craiglist in the farm/garden section and also the absolutely free section. I've seen many an inexpensive or free coop listed on there. But you have to snap 'em up fast.

I am also buying a prefabbed chicken coop. I'm also only having 3 chicks/chickens, 2 if I can find a place to pick up from. I plan on beefing up the prefabbed and adding onto the indoor space. The whole coop and its run will sit inside another run.

I bought a prefab coop because it was an easy way for me to get started. We have made a couple of modifications. We have a pull out poop that which was flimsy so my husband built me a new one which works fine now. We also replaced the ladder leading up to the coop. We then built a new run , placed the coop at the back of it and now the chicks have a run 10 x12. We also built an extension to the coop of 4x3 so the inside of the coop is now 8x3. I only intend to have 5 chickens so I think we are o.k. While I am very pleased with what I now have it certainly took a lot of modification and addition to get here. If I had to do it over again I would have built something from scratch but, as my husband had been opposed to having chickens I had to strike while he had a weak moment or I would not have chickens today.

Attachments

• IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2181.JPG
    IMG_2181.JPG
    669.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG