Pre-fab makeover

kburruano

Songster
Dec 1, 2021
Okay, so the consensus here is that my pre fab coop is too small. Exactly as I suspected. I did some investigating and and input from everyone, my husband and I removed the run from it and made the whole thing a coop. The coop is now off the ground and placed inside a large run. Here are some pics from the process, but not the finished. The boards on the sides are actually cut in half so we can remove them during the day for sun or both pieces for the summer. I'm including some pics to ask if the ventilation is enough. Some we added and some I think came as part of the design.

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_151941.jpg
    IMG_20211218_151941.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20211218_151950.jpg
    IMG_20211218_151950.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211218_152027.jpg
    IMG_20211218_152027.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211218_152039.jpg
    IMG_20211218_152039.jpg
    583.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211218_154218.jpg
    IMG_20211218_154218.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 12
So in the first photo, the half open part on the left side, that's going to remain open like that year round? If so, you might have enough as it stands, depending on a few things:
- I assume roost(s) run lengthwise? Or where are the roosts located overall in the structure?
- Also how many birds total?

If more is needed, the most logical place would be up high, aka under the peak of the roof, around where the little sliding window is.

So in the first photo, the half open part on the left side, that's going to remain open like that year round? If so, you might have enough as it stands, depending on a few things:
- I assume roost(s) run lengthwise? Or where are the roosts located overall in the structure?
- Also how many birds total?

If more is needed, the most logical place would be up high, aka under the peak of the roof, around where the little sliding window is.
No, the other half of that window want out it. The third and fourth photos show the amount I left. Then the inside pics are what gaps were already there. I left the original coop as it was and ran a roost bar width wise for the new chickens. There will only be three total. Again this is really only for at night or if we have to go out.

No, the other half of that window want out it. The third and fourth photos show the amount I left. Then the inside pics are what gaps were already there. I left the original coop as it was and ran a roost bar width wise for the new chickens. There will only be three total. Again this is really only for at night or if we have to go out.
The window was out*

You need a lot more ventilation at night than in the day, as chickens are inside and generating moisture via breathing all night.

Think in terms of sq feet, not sq inches. For 3 birds you'd want 3 sq ft if possible. I'd look into opening up the triangle area above that sliding window, on both sides - if weather protection is a concern due to the fact that there's not a lot of roof overhang, you can save the cut out pieces to top hinge over the opening, which will help buffer winds and rain.

Here's an example of a coop with a lot of top hinged panels, just to give you an idea of what I mean: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607

You need a lot more ventilation at night than in the day, as chickens are inside and generating moisture via breathing all night.

Think in terms of sq feet, not sq inches. For 3 birds you'd want 3 sq ft if possible. I'd look into opening up the triangle area above that sliding window, on both sides - if weather protection is a concern due to the fact that there's not a lot of roof overhang, you can save the cut out pieces to top hinge over the opening, which will help buffer winds and rain.

Here's an example of a coop with a lot of top hinged panels, just to give you an idea of what I mean: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-ventilation.1452812/page-2#post-24868607
That's a great example. I had this on my first coop and loved it! I am on my 3rd coop now, and I miss it. It's great in both hot and cold weather. I'm building my 4th (and hopefully final) coop in spring, and the plan is to have those again.

That's a clever way to solve the small pre-fab problem!

Rule of thumb is 1sq ft ventilation per bird.

(I typed this just as I saw Rosemary's response - lol! Great minds and all that)
I added those drilled holes but wasn't sure if I needed more. I guess I do!

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_165339.jpg
    IMG_20211218_165339.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20211218_165306.jpg
    IMG_20211218_165306.jpg
    798.4 KB · Views: 11
More is always better. I have 12 chickens and 5 ducks. That means 17 sq ft of ventilation. I achieve that by leaving the door open (their door opens into a secure run). Without the door open, I have about 9 sq ft of ventilation.

One night, the door blew shut in a storm. When I opened the door the next morning, the moisture in the coop was bad and it was super stinky. Whew! I felt bad thinking about my flock breathing that damp, stinky air all night. My next coop will have even more ventilation, and it'll be hinged flaps like in the example Rosemary shared.

Back
Top Bottom