Pre-fab makeover

This would work well, I think.

Maybe even both the triangles AND the tops of the panels.
I would do both because I like having a LOT of ventilation (I have about 3 sq ft per bird most of the year). Especially if you can top hinge some of the panels, that gives you a lot of leeway - in the summer they can be fully opened to vent out heat. In winter, just prop them open a little bit to let moisture escape, but protect against draft and nasty weather.

Last edited:
I would do that both because I like having a LOT of ventilation (I have about 3 sq ft per bird most of the year). Especially if you can top hinge some of the panels, that gives you a lot of leeway - in the summer they can be fully opened to vent out heat. In winter, just prop them open a little bit to let moisture escape, but protect against draft and nasty weather.
Exactly. I like more ventilation, too, especially right now (duckies are wet and messy!).

It's been snowing here - not super cold in the 20s, but very wet. It's the wet that causes problems. So those hinged panels are ideal because they act like awnings for the snow and rain. My current set up keeps the wet out because the coop door is left open into the covered run. But I do plan on adding those hinged panels in the spring when I expand their area. The coop will face a different direction and will not have the same tree cover. That means more hot sun in the summer and more snow and rain in the winter.

I would do that both because I like having a LOT of ventilation (I have about 3 sq ft per bird most of the year). Especially if you can top hinge some of the panels, that gives you a lot of leeway - in the summer they can be fully opened to vent out heat. In winter, just prop them open a little bit to let moisture escape, but protect against draft and nasty weather.
We can't add hinges bc we cut the panels to fit within the frame. And the wire mesh is still there and so when u go to open there is no clearance. We tried.

Exactly. I like more ventilation, too, especially right now (duckies are wet and messy!).

It's been snowing here - not super cold in the 20s, but very wet. It's the wet that causes problems. So those hinged panels are ideal because they act like awnings for the snow and rain. My current set up keeps the wet out because the coop door is left open into the covered run. But I do plan on adding those hinged panels in the spring when I expand their area. The coop will face a different direction and will not have the same tree cover. That means more hot sun in the summer and more snow and rain in the winter.
U wanna believe the only ventilation that coop came with was the little square door? And at the roof line it's not flush, so some there.

I would do both because I like having a LOT of ventilation (I have about 3 sq ft per bird most of the year). Especially if you can top hinge some of the panels, that gives you a lot of leeway - in the summer they can be fully opened to vent out heat. In winter, just prop them open a little bit to let moisture escape, but protect against draft and nasty weather.
I left the original coop as a second level. Should I got that and just add riding bars?

U wanna believe the only ventilation that coop came with was the little square door? And at the roof line it's not flush, so some there.
This is unfortunately very common in prefab coops. And due to the overall size of the coops, it's often a difficult fix. By expanding the coop into the "run" space you've already started to address the issue (adds more usable sq footage on the ground + more overall air volume).

Back
Top Bottom