pre-laying maran hen not moving

dutchson

Hatching
Aug 6, 2016
It has been very hot and humid for an extended time, but today is much cooler. I found on of our five hens (all the same age) not wanting to move. I checked and she is not guarding an egg. She seems unable to move. I am watching the hens for my wife while she's traveling. She left yesterday ... not going well. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Should I isolate the hen?

It has been very hot and humid for an extended time, but today is much cooler. I found on of our five hens (all the same age) not wanting to move. I checked and she is not guarding an egg. She seems unable to move. I am watching the hens for my wife while she's traveling. She left yesterday ... not going well. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Should I isolate the hen?

Welcome to BYC.
Can you post some photos of how she is laying down (video will work too).
How old is she?
When you say she is unable to move - exactly what is that - can't stand at all, legs are paralyzed, etc.?
Is she lethargic - like sleepy - with eyes closed?
Any panting, signs of distress - coughing, wheezing, etc.?

If you can bring her in or separate her to a cooler area. Offer cold water - if you have any poultry vitamins you can add those to her water. Hot humid weather-even though it's cooled off, she may have gotten dehydrated. Try to encourage her to drink, food will be secondary.

Let us know how she is.

Back
Top Bottom