Preakness...who will win????

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I'm hoping Rachel Alexandra will win, of course... I know a lot of people are. But I also like Mine That Bird and General Quarters. Mainly, I'm hoping that all the horses and riders in the field stay safe.
hmm.png

The fastest horse of course. I don't like horse racing because of the way they date age. A lot of the horses are too young for that level of stress on their bones. Lot of sad endings to make people rich as usual.

Well, IMO, lots have that conception. BUT...horses run like that in the fields on their own time as well. Mine do for sure. I have performance QHs. The jockeys that ride these horses are so light weight that it does not put added stress on the horses. True, some do abuse their horses and would rather have money than care about the horses health but the rest shoudn't be judges based upon a few bad apples. These horses are in fine shape to run these races. We start ours at birth and they start riding at 2 yrs. Imprinting and GW progressing as the horses progress. Never have I had a horse with any issues from trainings. You can enjoy horse racing without feeling like you are condoning abuse of anykind. It really isn't like that. I used to be on that side of the fence until I really got educated on the matter.
smile.png

You have to know horses to understand. They do enjoy competing. In any sport. And it's true, they will race each other in the field and even jump fences for entertainment, when they could go around, if they wanted to. Yes, there are bad apples, I agree, but it is an awesome sport...and Calvin Borel loves that horse. No way would he hurt her. And she won.

It was one of the most incredible Preaknesses I have ever witnessed, with the winner of the Ky. Oaks holding off the winner of the Kentucky Derby. History was made, a race for the ages. Gave me chills and goosebumps, racing at its finest.

It was something, I wanted Mine That Bird to win, too...he gave her a tremendous race. He deserves respect in his own right, coming from last like that two races in a row. I don't think his trainer should've been shaking his head...his race was awesome,too. btw, I don't agree with the racehorse aging system either; I think they should be aged by their natural birthday.

It was a great race. Myself. I would buy that little gelding(Mine that Bird) in a heart beat.

Also, considering the fact that my 13 year old x racehorse has blown out one of his old racing injuries TWICE now. In his paddock which he has to himself. To the point that he is on stall rest. And even if I had the time to ride him.. has a very poor prognosis now for even light riding.
I am against the false age they begin training them. Right now I will be lucky to even be able to lunge him ever again to work his mind and body some.
And he wasnt campaigned hard at all.

Yes, they do enjoy it. But too much stress IS put on their limbs, muscles, joints and ligaments at too early an age. To think anything else is plainly being uninformed. No youngster should be being "trained" and then raced full out, against others at "three" Whether it be at a local track or the Derby
BTW the QH people are no better.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

It was a great race. Myself. I would buy that little gelding(Mine that Bird) in a heart beat.

Also, considering the fact that my 13 year old x racehorse has blown out one of his old racing injuries TWICE now. In his paddock which he has to himself. To the point that he is on stall rest. And even if I had the time to ride him.. has a very poor prognosis now for even light riding.
I am against the false age they begin training them. Right now I will be lucky to even be able to lunge him ever again to work his mind and body some.
And he wasnt campaigned hard at all.

Yes, they do enjoy it. But too much stress IS put on their limbs, muscles, joints and ligaments at too early an age. To think anything else is plainly being uninformed. No youngster should be being "trained" and then raced full out, against others at "three" Whether it be at a local track or the Derby
BTW the QH people are no better.

Actually, you are uninformed. There has been studies over and over again from Universities that early training stregnthens bones and ligaments. Ive been training young horses for more years than I want to think of, and it is true. But there is a fine line between training and stregnthening a youngster, or pushing and ignoring warning signs.​

I have to agree with Halo that all young horses are started off slowly but not to the point that money is the primary motivation for owners to race harder on young horses. Sometimes accidents are happening without a real cause.

I am glad that Rachel won her race, and she got a beautiful head!

From what I gather the prerace information, Rachel will be bred to another KY winner, Curlin' for a possible winner out of this cross. I dont think it is very possible but anything can happen with their offsprings!

Quote:
Actually, you are uninformed. There has been studies over and over again from Universities that early training stregnthens bones and ligaments. Ive been training young horses for more years than I want to think of, and it is true. But there is a fine line between training and stregnthening a youngster, or pushing and ignoring warning signs.

This is very true.

And from a trainers point of view (mine) I can tell the difference in horses started early than those who come in as 4 and 5 yr olds to be started. Any good trainer knows the horses limitations that he/she is working with. Early training gives horses a great start in athletics. That is why the most prized competitions are between 2 and 3 year old horses. This is for a reason.

IMO a horse should be started when it hits the ground from foaling. It is by far the best method I have ever seen in my whole horse career for horses being sound, bomb proof, and better athletes. By the time it is 2 years old you won't have hardly a problem getting on their backs.

We are showing Non-Pro this year in reining and our goal is to make it to the reining futurity which are young horses. They are not being pressured or injured at all. I would never risk my most beloved mare just to earn money/points. It is completly safe to race a 2 yr. old horse unless the horse has an injury.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom