Starting my free range bachelor flock

jroyalimage

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 29, 2015
Hello all!!

So this summer I bought 15 chicks, I ended up 4 obvious roosters so far. They are 22 weeks old now. They have been raised together and under an elderly rooster that simply just does not allow conflict in his flock lol. So they all get along great for now. My plan is to move them into a mobile coop and allow them to free range at various spots far away from the main flock. I just cleared around a nice pond and I feel like they would add some nice visual appeal to that spot. A lot of horseback riders and carriage drivers come past there.

With a bachelor flock, do you feed them any differently? I’m counting on them foraging for most of their food. But should I be offering them something other than layer feed? I’m also wondering if there are any specific foods or supplements that I can give to bring out their colors and tail feathers? At this point they’re just ornamental until my 2 older roosters “retire” so I want to treat them well!!

Roosters don't lay eggs. Skip the layer feed and try All-Flock. You can feed that to your layers also with Oyster shell on the side for calcium.
Pics of your bachelor flock ?

Not sure of any supplements to add, hopefully someone can answer that for you?

Eta... Didn't mean for that first statement to sound rude... Some sources say layer feed can be harmful in the long haul to a Roo's liver. Too much calcium.

Last edited:
You mentioned the roosters will be completely apart from your other flock but since they will be free ranging, I wonder if they can get to your flock (hens) causing a problem with the roosters living with them.

I have 2 cockerels and I feed grower feed to all my flock, I also have oyster shell dishes every where for the hens. I like to give them grower feed specially during molting season.

Good luck with your rooster flock.

Back
Top Bottom