Precious..the blind Barred Rock hen

This morning, Precious wasn’t quite as flighty when I picked her up. Normally, she goes into a panic and tries to get away. I think it is due to not being able to see, and she is terrified. She even seems to be responding more to my voice when I call her name. She was more calm for me today, and sat quietly in my lap while I was mobbed by the other seven chicks.

Her weight today is 5.76oz, which is a gain from yesterday.

This morning, Precious wasn’t quite as flighty when I picked her up. Normally, she goes into a panic and tries to get away. I think it is due to not being able to see, and she is terrified. She even seems to be responding more to my voice when I call her name. She was more calm for me today, and sat quietly in my lap while I was mobbed by the other seven chicks.

Her weight today is 5.76oz, which is a gain from yesterday.
This is so great!

Precious weighs 6.9oz today. She's heavier than the older (by three days) buff orpingtons which look bigger. She's responding more to her name, when we visit them in the brooder, but she acts like she is just going to lay around and sleep. After we leave, I spot her on the brooder camera, hanging out with the others on the small roost, and the dust bath. They spend a lot of time in there when we are not around. I think she is acting shy when we are around. Silly girl. Hard to see in the picture, but she is in that pile of chickens in the blue pan. You can just see the white spot on her head in the lower left hand side.
IMG_1065.jpeg

I’m completely new to chickens so maybe I just don’t know how feasible this is, but I wonder if she would enjoy a very low swing. Just for some enrichment. Or maybe some hand feeding of treats. Tho she’d have to learn a signal, such as running the treat down her beak first or something so she knows when she’s being given something

I’m completely new to chickens so maybe I just don’t know how feasible this is, but I wonder if she would enjoy a very low swing. Just for some enrichment. Or maybe some hand feeding of treats. Tho she’d have to learn a signal, such as running the treat down her beak first or something so she knows when she’s being given something
I have been working on this, regarding treats. It’s tough though, as she doesn’t respond easily.

Back
Top Bottom