predadators

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rigelc, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rigelc

rigelc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Hi,

I had 4 quails in a wooden box for rabbits. I bought later a wire cage so they could have some air and sun...I made the mistake to leave them there overnight and a raccon (I did not see it but I know there is one around) likked them all eating wings and heards. I want to have Quails again but I want to avoid this happening again. So first thing I won't use the wire cage...but is it any other things I could do??? please I need advise

would be this safe?

http://www.amazon.com/Ware-Mfg-Inc-...=UTF8&coliid=I47SBI5V1SUA&colid=2TE1ZAT8S2HMR

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I am sorry about your loss.

I am also sorry to say but the link you shared about the other cage...this is also not predator safe. You can use the wire cage, just not leave it outside. I house my quail indoors because of the predator problems out there. These are what some of my breeder cages look like. I also have rabbit hutches indoors as well (but I put hardware cloth around them further because I have a snake problem).

[​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Wrap The Outside Of Your Existing Wire Cage In Metal 1/2x1/2 Inch Hardware Cloth All The Way To The Ground And It Should Be Quite Safe. Safer Than The Cage Shown Here.

4. Kwartel

Kwartel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Whatever kind of cage you use, you will probably want to either replace or line the wire with hardware cloth, so that predators will not be able to reach in and pull off heads. I live in the woods and face every kind of predator imaginable, but I prefer to keep my birds on dirt when possible. I dig a trench around the perimeter of their pens and attach wide strips of wire fencing, which I then bury so that nothing can tunnel in. You will also want to make sure that your latches cannot be manipulated by clever paws, spring latches work pretty well for me. Any type of cage you can buy will probably require some modification to make it totally safe for outdoor quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by