Predator attack - wounded rooster

gforth

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Our rooster was badly injured by a coyote or bobcat in an unsuccessful defense of two of our hens (only feathers left behind). A softball sized section of feathers on shoulders are gone and a large slice in the skin remains. I can't see any other injuries. It has been about 10 days and the rooster just stands still all day with his eyes mostly closed. He will occasionally drink water. Sometimes we have to pick him up and put him in the hen house at dusk. Could this be shock or something worse? Any help appreciated. F.

*Is he on antibiotics? He definitely needs to be. Has he been eating and drinking? Is the wound clean and healing? What are you doing for pain? He should be isolated, given electrolytes in his water and vitamins, Poly-Vi-Sol infant drops will work. Tempt him with warm mash, with a little canned cat food added for extra protein-- Make this mash fresh each meal. 5 crushed plain aspirin to a gallon of water for pain. I would give him that right away. It may help him ease up enough to eat and behave more normally. Please examine the wound carefully for signs of infection, maggots, muscle involvement or what have you. Post pics if possible. P.S.: Welcome to BYC. I wish the circumstances were better, but we are glad to have you here none the less!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom