Predator Broke Into Coop Last Night - What could it be?

Greetings! What you have looks like raccoon fur.

I lost my entire flock, a rooster and 5 hens , to a bobcat early Easter Sunday morning in Leesville, SC. Is there a way to keep bobcats away without turning the coop into a fortress? I doubt it but thought I would ask anyway.
I have 3 hotwires around my run; one 1 foot off the ground, one 4 inches down from the top, and one offset out from the top rail. I have a 6 foot, 2"×4" woven wire fence with hardware cloth around the bottom and on the ground. I also have aviary netting over the top. I've gotten pictures of a bobcat on a game cam, but he hasn't had any chicken for dinner. I didn't start out this fortified, but the raccoons, hawks and coyotes were awful with an occasional snake or possum thrown in. Chicken is on everyone's meal plan.

Greetings! What you have looks like raccoon fur.

I lost my entire flock, a rooster and 5 hens , to a bobcat early Easter Sunday morning in Leesville, SC. Is there a way to keep bobcats away without turning the coop into a fortress? I doubt it but thought I would ask anyway.
You should still make a fortress but there is also predator urine you can buy it . I heard it can help. if it’s from a predator that kills the predator you want to keep away they avoid the area

Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 8.17.40 PM.png

Had a raccoon and bobcat visit last night just 20 minutes apart. Any suggestions on how to keep the ducks safe as well as remove the predators?
Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 8.17.23 PM.png

It looks like undercoat. Probably a canine of some kind, either Coyote, domestic dog, or wolf? I don't know if you have wolves in your area. But they are all blowing or shedding the winter undercoat right now.

View attachment 3512961
Had a raccoon and bobcat visit last night just 20 minutes apart. Any suggestions on how to keep the ducks safe as well as remove the predators?View attachment 3512962
Dog-proof raccoon traps work great to trap raccoons. Coons are sometimes hesitant to go into a cage trap, but they usually can't resist sticking their paws into a "hand" trap to reach for whatever bait you use to entice them. There are many good youtube videos showing how to bait and set the trap. I put dry dog food kibble into the cylinder, then smear canned cat food around the rim, but there are Many other baits that work well. Make sure you chain the trap to something very strong so the coon doesn't run away with your trap. It is also well worth it to purchase the setting tool mentioned in the video below, especially if you don't have strong hands.

I've never needed to trap a bobcat, but here is a thread that should give you good ideas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/should-i-try-and-kill-this-bobcat.1518848/

If you want input as far as improving your coop security, it would be best for you to make your own thread. Include the predator photos you posted here, and info about your coop as well as close-up photos will also be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom