Predator help

Quote:
If you trap them, you have to kill them.
Relocating raccoons (all predators) is illegal in most, if not all, states and even if it is not illegal, its immoral and irresponsible.
All you will be doing by relocating them is moving your problem to somewhere else, into an area that is most likely already over-run with raccoons.

So three choices:
1. Trap and kill them yourself or have some else do it for you.
2. Make your run & coop raccoon proof.
3. Get a dog to stay in the backyard and keep the raccoons out.

Or all three.

Quote:
If you trap them, you have to kill them.
Relocating raccoons (all predators) is illegal in most, if not all, states and even if it is not illegal, its immoral and irresponsible.
All you will be doing by relocating them is moving your problem to somewhere else, into an area that is most likely already over-run with raccoons.

So three choices:
1. Trap and kill them yourself or have some else do it for you.
2. Make your run & coop raccoon proof.
3. Get a dog to stay in the backyard and keep the raccoons out.

Or all three.
Carlf is right that is the only way stop a predator

Carlf is right that is the only way stop a predator
I get it but what if I put them in an area like a forest with no homes for miles? I would go the extra mile so I wouldn't have to kill them. They are a family.
-
Also, they do not come every night anymore. Last night was a young one and I scared the crap out if him so bad he fell out of the tree and hit the ground dazed. Because he hit so hard he didn't reAct for about 5or 6 seconds. He was just dumbfounded. I wish I had a video of it. I had one that I nursed back to health about 15years ago, (I had been up to date on my rabies vaccines back then) maybe that is why I am having an extra hard time with this. Plus I am a right to lifer with animals and I can't even think about killing another animal or to take it one step further... One that is as smart as my 2 years old grandson. This mother protects her babies with the same determination as I do withy kids. I get it....something has to be done but I guess what I am looking for is a miracle. I am trying to think out of the box and was wondering if those lights maybe with what is called Ssscat would be enough after hardware clothing my entire coop. It is a can you can anchor to the wall and a motion detector lets a strong spray of air as well as a hissing sound to scare the crap out of them. Has anyone tried anything like this maybe with the flood lights?

Thank you for your advise, I was I guess, looking for Devine intervention and still . I know you all are most likely thinking ok but your flock will be gone before you finally learn what all of us already figured out. And you are all right, my husband wants to poison them and yow that's is so cruel and painful. I am willing to try anything to try and co exhist. Does anyone think this is something maybe doable???

Thank you for your advise, I was I guess, looking for Devine intervention and still . I know you all are most likely thinking ok but your flock will be gone before you finally learn what all of us already figured out. And you are all right, my husband wants to poison them and yow that's is so cruel and painful. I am willing to try anything to try and co exhist. Does anyone think this is something maybe doable???

I have tried lots of ideas, the only thing that seems to be working is electric poultry netting. I watched a fox and coyote (on different days) walk by and put zero pressure on the fence, they must have been shocked earlier. Kencove for netting and Premier One for a solar charger is where I purchased my equipment. Expensive solution but it has kept me from killing my neighbors dogs. The only chickens I have lost are the ones that fly over the net and stay out all night. I have all kinds of predators.

M
I have tried lots of ideas, the only thing that seems to be working is electric poultry netting. I watched a fox and coyote (on different days) walk by and put zero pressure on the fence, they must have been shocked earlier. Kencove for netting and Premier One for a solar charger is where I purchased my equipment. Expensive solution but it has kept me from killing my neighbors dogs. The only chickens I have lost are the ones that fly over the net and stay out all night. I have all kinds of predators.

Who do you get the fence from and what do I need to do this.

M
here is the web site for the netting:

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Electric+Net+Fencing_products.php

here is the solar charger:

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/premier-prs-100-solar-energizer-kit?cat_id=171

if you have access to electricity I would buy one of these:

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Mains+Energizers_detail_EK1.php

let me know if you have more questions, the Kencove people can help. I used a weed spray for the first time this year to reduce the work necessary to keep grasses off the bottom of the fence. I also use "studded T posts" to tie (nylon string) to the netting posts to hold the fence tighter and prevents blow downs during thunder storms.

Last edited:
Well poisoning is probably the least humane thing you could do, so if you have to prioritize put your husband's idea at the bottom of the list.

M
If poultry netting is too expensive, you can instead put up strand of electric wire. That's how we keep the coons and deer out of our sweet corn. We start with the first strand about 3-4" off the ground, the next one about another 5-6", until we had 4 strands, the highest one roughly 3' off the ground. You would need electric fence wire (it also comes in rope or tape form), fence posts, insulators for the posts and a charger. You can find these things at any farm supply store.

If poultry netting is too expensive, you can instead put up strand of electric wire. That's how we keep the coons and deer out of our sweet corn. We start with the first strand about 3-4" off the ground, the next one about another 5-6", until we had 4 strands, the highest one roughly 3' off the ground. You would need electric fence wire (it also comes in rope or tape form), fence posts, insulators for the posts and a charger. You can find these things at any farm supply store.

did you figure the cost for 164 feet to compare exactly? The life of a wire fence would far surpass poultry netting.

Back
Top Bottom