predator info

deldeer

Songster
Oct 24, 2019
Northern MD/ DE
Hi everyone! I thought id pass on some free information, facts, and insight on predators. I work with wildlife and human encounters for a living. For those who free range, I cant really help you except maybe for scare tactics that may or may not work, but after time predators will come to learn that what was perceived as a threat really isn't what it appeared to be to them, therefor you must constantly be on top of changes in tactics. Free range is not a option for me where I live, I know I have two owls, hawks, eagles, several foxes, coyotes, and too many raccoons to count. I have to keep my ladies locked up and protected, but they have plenty of room to enjoy their self. The biggest mistake I see humans make with wildlife is underestimating them, they are cunning, adaptable, and can be extremely powerful. A lot of people will try to secure their birds with "chicken wire", and fail to understand "chicken wire" is designed to keep chickens in, NOT predators out, it will 100% fail for the later. Another thing folks may not take into consideration is the top of a run, not only will you have owls, hawks, and eagles get to them, but other animals can and will climb, including foxes! Yes they DO climb! If you find yourself in a situation like ours, you also have to protect from dig ins, the best way to do this is to dig a trench around your structure and bury hardware cloth with a 1/2"grid in size. Dig down 8" and out 12", bend wire into a L shape and fasten to your structure, and bury the other end, this will keep animals out, they don't like the feel of wire, they will give up and move on, but keep in mind if you have weak link somewhere they will expose you, they are determined to eat! Raccoons actually have hands like us, and have a amazing reach. Once a animal has found a food source its game on for them! We have all heard of month balls, ammonia, etc etc, it does not work, if it did, I wouldn't be in business doing what I do, in some places its actually illegal to put those on the ground for fear of water contamination. Gotta try to think like a animal to beat them at their own game.
teeth.jpg
hand.jpg
fox.jpeg
fox hole.jpeg
wire.jpeg

Last edited:
Very good information. I have a fairly large complex. I do have my pens covered with good heavy duty netting, concrete under the gates and electric wires around my coops and pens all due to losses in the past from predators. I think the electric wires are the best defense. I have a nice powerful fence charger and it will hurt anything that touches the wires. My fences are chicken wire around the perimeter of my pens but it is all grounded so anything that comes in contact with the electric wires and the fencing will get a good zap. There are some places where I have dug foot deep trenches along the bottom of the fencing and buried some welded wire which I attached to the bottom of the fencing. Here are a couple of good sites with good info. This one won't protect your birds from aerial predators but will work pretty well for most ground predators for those who free range. Good luck and have fun...
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/
This is just good info.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/featured-infographic/tips-for-protecting-poultry-from-predators
My setup.
IMG_20190302_104317.jpg IMG_20190302_104435.jpg IMG_20180503_094047.jpg IMG_20181202_133518.jpg 20210115_095548.jpg

Back
Top Bottom