Predator killed my ducks

Luckyduck2021

Chirping
Aug 10, 2021
Southern California
I am new to raising ducks and had three that I brought up from ducklings since March. Last week a predator somehow got through the gate to the duck pen and into my duck house, killing all three. I found 2 dead and 1 missing. The pen is metal and fully enclosed with a hard mesh top. I think a bobcat or raccoon figured out how to scale the pen and come down from the top. But nothing in the entire yard or pen showed signs of disturbance. I am beside myself with grief and guilt because I was very attached to all of them. Raising these ducks was a lot of work but pure joy. I am not sure if I should consider getting more ducks as the likely culprit (bobcat or raccoon) will return and I am not sure I can sleep at night knowing they might be at risk. Any advice on how to move on after being so attached and the best way to ensure a house is completely predator proof? Is that even possible?

I’m so sorry you lost your little ones. I too had a predator come in and injure one chicken and kill another young one a few weeks back. It was a fox- none of the ducks were harmed and it was at 7 am after I let everyone out of their locked coops/houses. The fox was back day after day around 7 or 8 am pacing up and down both mine and my neighbors pens. He didn’t seem to mind people or any other animals except my dog which would run him off. We kept all our chickens/ducks locked up but he was trying to get in again
I would suggest waiting to get more until you can identify the predator and relocate it if possible.
Take care 😊

:welcome :frow So sorry for your loss. Many of us have lost birds to predators. I put cameras up to see what is lurking. Most nights I see a predator on at least one of my cameras. I also put electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering my pens and concrete under the gates. I have a powerful fence charger so any predator that touches the wires will hurt but that is the idea, I want them to hurt so they will know that whatever is on the other side isn't worth getting zapped for. One time I had an owl issue. I used fishing lines over the pens but the owl still got through and killed some birds. Don't give up. Good luck...

Can you post pics if your setup? Is the duck house not fully enclosed with a door that shuts? Sorry for your losses but we'll try to help you. We've all had losses, so know how you feel! :hugs
Yes, ducks were free roaming during the day, but locked up in pen at night until morning. It is trenched into the ground and concrete blocks along side. I put chicken wire on bottom every where but the door. I am also attaching a pic of roof which is where I think it got in and out. If I get more ducks, I will need to get a hard scape roof.
Added a pic of my babies when they were alive😢
Thanks for any and all help should I decide to try again.

Attachments

• 9685EB3A-9255-47BC-9461-C4B326381AFB.jpeg
    9685EB3A-9255-47BC-9461-C4B326381AFB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 29B267AC-78C9-48F9-8E7D-76E2A2DD1805.jpeg
    29B267AC-78C9-48F9-8E7D-76E2A2DD1805.jpeg
    961.2 KB · Views: 40
  • F3F623AA-7373-4DD4-A050-850D333441E8.jpeg
    F3F623AA-7373-4DD4-A050-850D333441E8.jpeg
    823.2 KB · Views: 42
To add- I have coyote proof rollers on the block wall and solar predator lights on the cage. I have two big dogs who were out with ducks during day, but they sleep inside at night. They didn’t bark and even with a window open, I didn’t hear a thing that night. As you can imagine, I am beating myself up over this as it was horrific to find them decapitated and eaten in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom