Predator Proof Enough to Leave Door Open?

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I am in Texas and it’s HOT. Not below 80 at night and heat index of 110 during the day. My coop is attached to my run which is covered top to bottom 100% in 1/4 in hardware cloth. All the windows to the coop that are outside the run are also covered in hwc. We do have fox, coon, possum, feral cats and coyote but I have never seen a coyote in my yard, which has a 6 ft wooden privacy fence. In your opinion could I leave the door open at night for extra heat relief? I also have a camera set to set off lights and sirens if it pick up motion at night.

Can you make a HC screen door to fit? Is the door inside or outside the run?
The door is inside the run. It’s a playhouse converted so the door is freaking round lol. Not sure how I would build that and it’s so damn hot I barely got my new windows cut in before I died lol. This is the door they use to get in and out of the coop out to the run

Attachments

• IMG_2947.jpeg
    IMG_2947.jpeg
    549.4 KB · Views: 137
  • ppsl77178bf82850470d-20230612182814603.jpeg
    ppsl77178bf82850470d-20230612182814603.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
The door is inside the run. It’s a playhouse converted so the door is freaking round lol. Not sure how I would build that and it’s so damn hot I barely got my new windows cut in before I died lol. This is the door they use to get in and out of the coop out to the run
You could leave the door open, I think.
Can you cut a window in the door? One you can shutter in the winter?
A screen door wouldn't have to fit the door, may go over the opening?

You could leave the door open, I think.
Can you cut a window in the door? One you can shutter in the winter?
A screen door wouldn't have to fit the door, may go over the opening?
Ok I am going to look into how to make a door, but I think I am going to leave it open tonight and take a Valium lol. My nerves are gonna be a wreck. @nuthatched do you mind taking a look at my other thread about my roosters earlobes? No one has answered it and I’m worried about that too. 🙂 thanks!

My girls have chosen to sleep in their run. Our run has a metal roof, hardware cloth wrapped and 24” hardware cloth apron. We also have a 6’ wooden fence. It’s worked out for us and we have seen big raccoons and lots of possums on our camera attached to the coop. I’d hate to ever say it’s 100% predator proofed but it’s as good as we can get and it’s worked thus far 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Last edited:
My coop is open to the run - it only has three sides, protected from north winds. We also have it set into the woods for extra shade. It’s worked well for us, going on 10 years I think. The largest gaps are where the corrugated roof meets the coop sides, so I wouldn’t say it is snake proof. The hardware cloth apron worked for a while, but the field rats dig holes underneath so my husband put in a concrete floor (quick crete bags over a two month time period).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-weather-coop.65278/

Maybe the pic is just too blurry to see, but are there gaps around the chain link doors in run?
There are some inevitable small gaps around the gates. I have done everything I can to make those uncomfortable for things to come threw them. The hwc is jagged and very sharp in those places on purpose. Some of the bigger ones I have added patches attached to the gates so they would have to push through that to get in as well. I don’t particularly want to leave the door open all the time just trying to get through this dang heat. I don’t leave food in the run at night and so far have seen no signs of rodents. I did have a rat snake get in BEFORE I covered everything in hwc and have not seen one since

Back
Top Bottom