Predator Proof Enough to Leave Door Open?

And it was 90 inside while 95 outside?
So I just went and checked. 7 windows and the man door open with large barn fan blowing in the coop and it’s a little under 90 inside. Pic of current outside temp and heat index

Attachments

• IMG_3280.png
    IMG_3280.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Could you hose off the coop with cold water? Freeze gallon jugs of water and place in metal pans in front of the fans or under their roost. Lots of ice in their waters to keep it cool. I fill metal pans with cold water and set the birds in it to cool their feet off. Some jump right out but we have had a couple of smart girls figure out it cooled them and would jump in and out throughout the day. I never could get them comfortable in the baby pool, too slippery and high sided I think.
Lastly, a mister might help. The ones that attach to a hose and can be moved around easily. I make sure to keep the ground hosed off and foliage wet. This is their favorite area to hang out during heat waves. I place their food and plenary of cold water to drink and pans to step in and refresh throughout the day. It works well enough for us to notice a big difference when we sit with them.

None of these are perfect solutions, but they do seem to help.

We have an enclosed pen around the wooden coop on stilts (I mean a human can't walk into it) where they sleep and lay. We have rarely close their coop door except in extreme cold. And, unfortunately, I could not get my husband to spring for all HWC so there's a lot of doubled up chicken wire as walls to the pen. So far, we have had no problems even though we've had opossums and foxes wandering about a few times that I've seen in the last three years we've had chickens.

That said, no, it's probably not as safe as can be, but the way my husband built the coop, I think it would be way too hot if we closed the door in summer. We did build it out of scraps and the front is actually two old 1920s kitchen cabinet doors, one of which is well sealed with 1/2" HWC and the other can opens so I can clean the coop out. Sometimes we leave that "screened" door open on summer day and night so they don't expire while they lay or sleep.

Having chickens is only something you can do your best with. We don't have a lot of materials or funds but we pay a lot of attention to them and the area so we don't have trouble with predators much even though they're around. You do the best you can. Ours also free-range a lot so they're always at risk when they're out anyway. Although we've never had a problem during the day when they've been out on our acre.

I am in Texas and it’s HOT. Not below 80 at night and heat index of 110 during the day. My coop is attached to my run which is covered top to bottom 100% in 1/4 in hardware cloth. All the windows to the coop that are outside the run are also covered in hwc. We do have fox, coon, possum, feral cats and coyote but I have never seen a coyote in my yard, which has a 6 ft wooden privacy fence. In your opinion could I leave the door open at night for extra heat relief? I also have a camera set to set off lights and sirens if it pick up motion at night.
I also have a chicken yard covered all around with HWC with two coops inside. I don't close the doors to the coop, and some of my girls sleep on top of the coop. The HWC is strong enough to keep any predators outside. Been 10 years and no problems.

The door is inside the run. It’s a playhouse converted so the door is freaking round lol. Not sure how I would build that and it’s so damn hot I barely got my new windows cut in before I died lol. This is the door they use to get in and out of the coop out to the run
That door is huge! I would put a brace across the door just above chicken height. Install hwc from the brace upward. Then build a sturdy door to cover the remaining open passage. This would provide a whole lot of air circulation instead of a door far taller than necessary.

I live in South Central Texas. I have 28 adult chickens , 5 two month chicks and 4 ducks that stay in a 2 bay convert horse stalls at night. It is not tightly secured and have not had a problem for the last 5 years. During the day they all free range on 1/2 an acre with no issues. A few acres down someone has 12 ducks not locked up at all with no issues.

The door is inside the run. It’s a playhouse converted so the door is freaking round lol. Not sure how I would build that and it’s so damn hot I barely got my new windows cut in before I died lol. This is the door they use to get in and out of the coop out to the run
I am in Texas too. I have several fans, 2 in each window, and exhaust fan in the gable, and a floor fan. I converted a 10 x 10 shed into a coop with it sectioned off. I have hwc over windows and the sectioned wall/door. It was 95 F last night. I try to keep the doors open as long as possible at night but it is just not cooling off. One night I left the doors open until 11 pm. I went to go lock them up and found a 4 ft rat snake in the front of the coop. It couldn't get passed my hwc wall. Startled me to find it in there. I just happened to walk up at the right time to see it slither its way in. Anyway, I have decided not to take a chance and leave the doors open past 9 pm. My flock is panting but seem to settle down after I turn off the lights. I do have some heavy breeds and so far, have not lost any.

I use several fans in the run and a misting fan which I think is what has saved them. I also have been adding electrolytes in their drinking water everyday. I am so over this heat!

This pic was before I added the fans. The exhaust fan was put in when I converted it to a coop.

Attachments

• 332912061_130729759750247_150589285202295361_n (1).jpg
    332912061_130729759750247_150589285202295361_n (1).jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom