Predator Proof Enough to Leave Door Open?

I am in eastern NC. It is hot and humid. I have 2 coops inside a 13x10 run, but my chickens free range during the day. Should I recover my run with 1/4” hardware cloth? It came with regular green chicken wire and it looks so flimsy. I inspect the run everyday. So far nothing has got in yet, but I have a camera with siren also. We have foxes, raccoons, bobcat, bears and snakes. I know it’s just a matter of time and diligence of the predator.
Chicken wire won’t keep anything out. The hardware cloth is a bit spendy but worth it on the long run. Attaching it is a pain in the but too! Not trying to discourage you, just be prepared lol. I would highly recommend it

I think I would shoot for making ventilation "windows" near the top of your coop rather than trying to figure out how to rig your door to be safe when open at night. Heat in the coop rises to the highest point so by putting in several openings high up on the walls as close to the roof as possible the rising heat has a way of escaping. These openings, if strategically placed on the upper walls will also create a cross ventilation which should help move the hot air out of the coop. To make it predator proof just cover the openings with hardware cloth. In the winter if it's too cold (can it be too cold in Texas in the winter?) then cover the high openings with plastic in order to then retain the coop heat.

Should I recover my run with 1/4” hardware cloth? It came with regular green chicken wire and it looks so flimsy. I inspect the run everyday. So far nothing has got in yet, but I have a camera with siren also. We have foxes, raccoons, bobcat, bears and snakes.
1/4" isn't as strong as 1/2" generally, due to gauge of wire. As a standard rule 1/2" would be a better bet.

None of those wire types will keep a bear out, if one wants in. If bears are an actual threat, only electric will keep them out.

I am in Texas and it’s HOT. Not below 80 at night and heat index of 110 during the day. My coop is attached to my run which is covered top to bottom 100% in 1/4 in hardware cloth. All the windows to the coop that are outside the run are also covered in hwc. We do have fox, coon, possum, feral cats and coyote but I have never seen a coyote in my yard, which has a 6 ft wooden privacy fence. In your opinion could I leave the door open at night for extra heat relief? I also have a camera set to set off lights and sirens if it pick up motion at night.
I live in Alabama so have all the same critters. If anything can scale the fence (fox, raccoons, opossums and coyotes which definitely all do) and get to your chickens, I wouldn’t do it. My favorite saying is that everything’s fine until it’s not. Over time something will get in. Motion detection lights aren’t much of a deterrent at all except maybe the first time. Do you have windows on both sides that air can flow through? I put a fan in one of those windows. I know they get relief because the coveted spots are directly in front of it. I have always told ppl that their roosting /night spot has to be fort knox, nothing bigger than mice should be able to get in. 80 at night is fine. Add a fan to a window and pull in outside air and they have to have cross ventilation. Good luck. One of my coops located inside a barn was great for years. Screen went all the way to the top except where the ceiling was 20+ feet in one 4 ft area. Raccoons wiped them all out. Roosting time has to be safe, like your house at night or eventually the inevitable will happen.

I hear your problems and we are going to rework some issues as yes the hardware mesh is a beautiful protection and everyone who wants to keep chickens safe know it is the bottom line. Have you looked into adding fans? We have a medium size double one but not enough so am going to research and somehow add another single large fan high enough and secure enough to prevent accidents. I’ve also,let them roam around outside with my presence as our farm is in a very rural area with many predators. I am so sorry that Tx. and too many other states, are experiencing this heat. It’s beyond anything we have ever anticipated.

Back
Top Bottom