Predator proof floor

Mammatothegirls

Hatching
Apr 30, 2021
I want to get a nice coop, run for my 6 chickens. I’m healing after breaking my wrist, so I’m not able to do a lot of physical labor. I wondered if I get a coop/run, could I attach wire mesh to bottom, then sit it on grass? Or could I lay sod on top? I live in PA so it will get cold and snow. Any ideas on what will be easy, effective? I could rent tools if needed, just don’t know best way to proof it. The “girls” are pets so we want them to be safe as possible. Thank you!

First,,,,,,,,,,,, :welcome
It is obvious you are new to chickens, and we all have to start somewhere.:highfive:, What you describe, sounds like it would be a prefab coop, and most-likely too small for 6 chickens.
There are solutions for this, if you do get the small coop. You can add on to it as your chickens grow, and your knowledge increases about chickens.
You can also locate the small coop inside a larger dog kennel type enclosure, and coop would only be for nighttime sleeping, and egg laying.
Not sure of your budget, but get as large of a coop as you can afford. We, (BYC members) can help you secure it once we see what working with.
Since your limited ability to do things currently, can you get help from family, or friends??
My chickens are pets also. I have 7 now. 4 bantams, and 3 large fowl.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Wire mesh on the floor can lead to foot problems, if the chickens have to walk on it or dig down far enough to reach it (if buried). Better to do a wire apron around the outside of the run for protection.

I would avoid commercial sod completely. Most sod is heavily treated with chemicals like fertilizers. Someone on here even lost a chicken to the plastic mesh that was inside the sod, the chicken strangled itself in it.

Back
Top Bottom