Predator proofing duck pen

View attachment 1314829
I have lost 6 of 7 ducks within the past 2 weeks.....been an awful experience !! Just as you think you've got it under control, they find another way !! We have buried wire around perimeter of cage so nothing can tunnel under. Treated 6x6's on ground with dog kennel legs drilled into 6x6's. Had to put 2ft chicken wire around bottom perimeter as one duck last year got pulled through the kennel wire so now that is impossible. Also have netting covering entire top. Was good for a year until the raccoons figured out how to squeeze between the kennel and the netting as I left too big of a gap. So now got 1/2" hardware cloth and attached all the way around top perimeter, leaving approx. 6-8 inches overhanging so they can't get on top of the cage and bite through the netting. I still plan on putting chicken wire all the way across the top of the kennel over the netting as extra protection !! Keeping fingers crossed that this will be enough.

I have confirmed snow will not build up on netting. How do you control it from building up on chicken wire?

I'm cutting all lower branches that come into the yard. I'm concerned that they will jump from a tree that is about 4 ft from 6 ft fence, then jump onto the top of the enclosure. Maybe I should put coyote rollers in that area? If they jump from the tree they would hit the roller. What about puttin rollers across the top a couple feet in all theway around? They would have to be positioned in a way that wherever they stepped it would roll.

Wow they bite through chicken wire? Can’t believe you have so many predators to look out for in the US. Raccoons, skunks, weasels...Where I live we have foxes galore to contend with. Lost two rabbits last year to those vermin - since made some alterations to the garden walls (anti climb spikes, fencing). Nevertheless I don’t want to risk anything else coming in so my ducks’ run will be fully wired up, looks like hardware cloth is the boy to use!

I have confirmed snow will not build up on netting. How do you control it from building up on chicken wire?

I'm cutting all lower branches that come into the yard. I'm concerned that they will jump from a tree that is about 4 ft from 6 ft fence, then jump onto the top of the enclosure. Maybe I should put coyote rollers in that area? If they jump from the tree they would hit the roller. What about puttin rollers across the top a couple feet in all theway around? They would have to be positioned in a way that wherever they stepped it would roll.

Not sure how the snow will be on the chicken wire...hoping it will be able to go right through like it does on the netting...or able to be knocked through easily. Will let you know !! Hopefully done with the snow for this year here in PA. My pen is in a tree area so if they want to, they will find a way to get on top of cage so I am hoping the chicken wire will keep them out !

Wow they bite through chicken wire? Can’t believe you have so many predators to look out for in the US. Raccoons, skunks, weasels...Where I live we have foxes galore to contend with. Lost two rabbits last year to those vermin - since made some alterations to the garden walls (anti climb spikes, fencing). Nevertheless I don’t want to risk anything else coming in so my ducks’ run will be fully wired up, looks like hardware cloth is the boy to use!
Fox 3.18.18.JPG

I've got fox too but they haven't been able to get to them since I put chicken wire around the bottom 2 ft of kennel. I think the one I lost last year was pulled between the kennel wires by a fox...that was before I put chicken wire all the way around bottom.

Back
Top Bottom