Predator proofing

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
We are getting this coop soon.

889295631_D25RS-X3.jpg

What should I do to prevent predators from digging into the outdoor run? I've heard of laying chicken wire on the ground underneath the coop/run, and the coop is light enough to be lifted to replace it as it wears out. Is that adequate or do I need to bury some somehow? Do the chickens do ok with chicken wire under them? I'd like them to be able to scratch at the ground, etc.

It looks like that's what they're doing in this post...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=353215

Last edited:
Great looking coop!

In the link you posted, it shows an apron of hardware cloth around the run to prevent digging under. Not chicken wire. The only thing chicken wire will stop is a chicken, predators go right through it. You don't need to put the wire underneath the run if you use this type of apron and anchor it down well. Then the chickens will be directly on the ground.
smile.png

First of all
welcome-byc.gif

The post you are referring to is showing an apron. Some folks dig down and some use aprons. I prefer aprons myself due to the hard red clay that I have here. My aprons are at least 24". I agree with you I wouldn't want the wire under their feet either.

Ah, that makes sense! I'll definitely be doing the apron thing. Digging down seems like such a pain! Thanks for the input.

Never underestimate the power of a hungry preditor, if you choose to use the apron I would attach it some how to the coop and then stake it to the ground for good measure, yes it may be a slight pain but think of the pain if you get hit one night. good luck and keep us posted.

AL

Hotwire...about 6 inches off the ground all the way around the bottom. Turn it off before you let them out if you let the birds free-range outside the coop.

It is the ONLY thing that will prevent a predator from at least trying to dig under and keeping the birds scared all night. You can also used it to put up a nice fence around the coop. Use the posts design for hotwire. Be sure to use a tester every night before you turn in to be sure it's working.

Back
Top Bottom