Predator Proofing

LillianMae

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Oregon
I have been raising chickens my whole life (of exactly 13 years), and last time we had chickens something got in the barn and killed all but nine of my brother's thirty chickens, one being mine. Me and my dad are going to pour concrete in the barn and fix everything so that the predator can't get in. I have seven chicks now and love them to bits, I would like to know any ways to keep out digging predators, flying predators, sneaky ones, etc. Me and my dad are going to put wire around the eaves, everything. I will do anything I can to stop things from getting in. I raised these babies from day olds. If they die I'm going to be broken-hearted. I do have gun protecting, I will shoot anything I can legally shoot that's trying to get in. Any ideas you have or experience you have and any proven things that will keep predators out is welcome. These guys are my babies, thanks, Lillian.

Welded 1/2" square wire on pens down near the bottom of the pen, also wire Buried. attached to bottom of pen and buried out from the pen so that any preditor would be digging through the wire.

Steel wool pushed into crevices should help keep out snakes and rodents.

Fencing around the yard would help keep neighbors dogs out.

RobertH

Thanks, what do you mean about burying the wire out?
Buried wire is when you dig out the bottom of your enclosure, lay wire, attach it to the sides of the enclosure, lay the earth and then whatever base you use (straw or just grass). That way, optionally, you could use a roosting area that can be locked up securely at night and check it reguarly for holes, or anyway for anything to get in. Generally, depending on where you are, I imagine foxes being the worst. Snakes generally go after eggs and rats after food.

Whatever got our chickens before probably was digging under our barn (concrete is coming now), so I think I will definitely use buried wire, and probably lay some flat on the side of the fence so that also deters it from digging. Does anybody have any other tips on it? Anything is helpful, I really want these guys protected.

Seriously
buried out and attached means not just lain flat but bent up in an L shape and properly secured to side of pen so no access is available. Then the skirt has dirt etc over it. Predators then do not know where the skirting begins and will begin digging near pen wall only to run into wire below.

If you are in fox, cyottee territory you will also want to electrify the fence or completely cover it.

What predators are in your area? Don't forget hawk attacks from overhead protection.

We have owls, hawks, coyotes, raccoons, ferrel cats, sometimes neighbors dogs get loose but that hasn't happened in a while

buried out and attached means not just lain flat but bent up in an L shape and properly secured to side of pen so no access is available. Then the skirt has dirt etc over it. Predators then do not know where the skirting begins and will begin digging near pen wall only to run into wire below.

If you are in fox, cyottee territory you will also want to electrify the fence or completely cover it.

What predators are in your area? Don't forget hawk attacks from overhead protection.
What do you suggest for hawks? We have had before a field hawk that pestering our budgies in our aviary. It's gone now. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom