Predator Slaughter Problem

Hmmmm......fox tracks, once made, last until the snow melts. All day and all night. As I read the tracks, it was pretty obvious that fox did what would be expected.....crawled under and got zapped in the process. Then did the same thing one of our barn cats did.....it ran around all over the place in a panic trying to find a way out, then eventually jumped out......and he never came back. That was 2 years ago. We have had 5 tracking snows so far this year, and each time, I walk the perimeter and no tracks. Nothing. We have a pack of coyotes in the neighborhood.....have heard them multiple times over the past few weeks and close. No more than a few hundred yards or so from the front door. No tracks from them either.

Bottom line is I've never lost a bird to a predator and have never had to shoot one either (skunk that took up residence in the barn doesn't count). I chalk that up to an electric fence that protects them by day and a tight coop that protects them at night. If anyone has a system that produces a better record than that (or can even equal it), I'd like to hear about it. :cool:
Yet again you’ve proven my point for me. You’ve had 5 tracking snows and not one track. You just don’t have that many predators in your immediate area. They would have to get zapped to realize what the fence is! They just aren’t there. I listen to coyotes yipping and howling all the time too. Never once have I found a track in my yard from them. Plenty of red and grey fox though. Everyone’s area is different and predator population can be much higher in different areas. Proximity to wooded areas changes things too.

Yet again you’ve proven my point for me. You’ve had 5 tracking snows and not one track. You just don’t have that many predators in your immediate area. They would have to get zapped to realize what the fence is! They just aren’t there. I listen to coyotes yipping and howling all the time too. Never once have I found a track in my yard from them. Plenty of red and grey fox though. Everyone’s area is different and predator population can be much higher in different areas. Proximity to wooded areas changes things too.

For someone who doesn't know me, has never met me and has never been here to see what I have, you have managed to leap to some remarkable conclusions about my situation in order to justify your positions.

No varmints? I am surrounded by varmints and in abundance.......coons, foxes, coyotes, skunks, possums, dogs and cats....plus owls, hawks and bald eagles. And since I'm about 1 mile from a national forest, probably bobcats and maybe even mountain lions. About a year ago, a small black bear walked into town about 20 miles from here.

So yes, I have varmints galore, but they cause no harm. That electric fence that watches over them by day, and that impenetrable house they retreat to at night are the two reasons why.

For someone who doesn't know me, has never met me and has never been here to see what I have, you have managed to leap to some remarkable conclusions about my situation in order to justify your positions.

No varmints? I am surrounded by varmints and in abundance.......coons, foxes, coyotes, skunks, possums, dogs and cats....plus owls, hawks and bald eagles. And since I'm about 1 mile from a national forest, probably bobcats and maybe even mountain lions. About a year ago, a small black bear walked into town about 20 miles from here.

So yes, I have varmints galore, but they cause no harm. That electric fence that watches over them by day, and that impenetrable house they retreat to at night are the two reasons why.
So... you have plenty of predators around yet 5 snowfalls where you could easily see tracks but there weren’t any.

Howard E could easily be correct. Why not? We are surrounded by predators here where I am. We have to remain vigilant to thwart young or new coyotes, raptors, snakes, etc. Never a dull moment with free range chickens! A 22 with regular or bird shot depending upon the varmint, big dogs, removal of snakes when they get too large ... Sounds like you are going to have to get up with the chickens and keep a sharp ear or eye out along with a rifle. I have never killed any varmint. They just don't like being shot at. Final thing would be a livestock guardian dog but they need careful training.

After reading all this talk about electric fences I thought I'd throw in my two cents.
My chicken run is completely covered in extremely heavy duty netting so I don't have Predators getting to my birds. And we don't have raccoons or fox is in my area.
But I put electric fence around my garden to keep the moose out as I have a big problem with moose in my yard all the time and one year they ate my cabbages so I decided a fence was in order.
Instead of regular electric fencing wire I used ribbon wire fencing.
It's about 1.5 or 2 inches wide.
It's probably a little spendier than regular electric fence wire but most of what I have my dad bought for me at a garage sale.
Being that it's wider it's easier to keep the critters out.
That and my electric fencer is not a pulser it's a constant zap. And man does it hurt I once touced it by accident and I will not do that again!
I'm willing to bet four or so strands of ribbon wire at the proper height would do a pretty good job of keeping foxes out.
I just think the ribbon wire is a better option than regular electric fence wire for this application.
Mine has required very little maintenance, granted it's only five strands of ribbon wire to 8 foot tall around my garden it's not like I have several acres fenced in.
I might also add that ribbon wire is also a visual deterrent to predators.
Especially ones that have been zapped but also others will see the white barrier ribbon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom