Predator took all 5 hens last night! I feel horrible!

Bobcat, fox or raccoon would be my first guesses. Not sure if a coyote would go inside the coop, but it’s not outside the realm of possibility. Stray dogs also come to mind.

Hi Everyone, thank you to everyone at this forum as you have all been so helpful! Every night I have a routine which includes checking on my 5 hens and closing their hutch door. I have done this for 5 years. Last night I am assuming I forgot as I noted the main door open this AM. All of my chickens are gone. There are no bodies, bones, etc. - just piles of feathers. I live in town with 2 sides of 8 foot fence and 2 sides of 4 foot fence. Hawks have been my daytime issues in the past as I lost one of my birds two years ago to a hawk in the daylight. I feel horribly guilty. Does anyone know what predator, in a southeastern PA town would just leave feathers overnight, be able to kill 5 birds, and leave nothing more? There are no gaps in the fence bottom and I have 3 dogs who use my yard to run and play....thank you for any information. I truly appreciate it!
I have lost some of my girls the same way except it happened at random times and sometimes during the day and I eventually came home in the middle of the day to find a coyote stalking my chickens and a wildlife camera confirmed my suspicion that it was what would grab my girl and run off leaving only feathers behind. I ended up having to increase the height of my fence so my girls would stay put as they kept getting on top of the roof of the coop and getting out that way. Sorry for your loss of your girls.

Hi Everyone, thank you to everyone at this forum as you have all been so helpful! Every night I have a routine which includes checking on my 5 hens and closing their hutch door. I have done this for 5 years. Last night I am assuming I forgot as I noted the main door open this AM. All of my chickens are gone. There are no bodies, bones, etc. - just piles of feathers. I live in town with 2 sides of 8 foot fence and 2 sides of 4 foot fence. Hawks have been my daytime issues in the past as I lost one of my birds two years ago to a hawk in the daylight. I feel horribly guilty. Does anyone know what predator, in a southeastern PA town would just leave feathers overnight, be able to kill 5 birds, and leave nothing more? There are no gaps in the fence bottom and I have 3 dogs who use my yard to run and play....thank you for any information. I truly appreciate it!

bobcat or coyote

This past summer I had 9 young hens locked in their coop inside their locked run. A bear climbed over the fencing to the run and tore open the coop and ate 5 of the hens. I interrupted the meal and the dogs and I chased the bear away. All that was left of the dead birds were two feet and a wing. I'm guessing that's what was left of the bird when I caught the pesky bear. There is now a roof on the run and I don't lock the birds in their coop at night.

I have to say in almost every attack I hear about the bodies are still there usually mangled. I am surprised that all five would be gone. Would one predator take all five? It seems like one fox would not bother to do that. Do your dogs stay out at night?

I am sorry for your losses as well. I don't mind at all about you showing the photos, any and all input is very much appreciated. I have such guilt coupled with lack of closure. Thank you for the kind words ❤❤
You are welcome and try not to feel too bad
Hi there! And know the feeling of losing hens like this. My husband and I have had similar happen with our hens,ducks,geese. Some have just vanished also and the same as yours:hitDo you mind if I show my husband the photos as he more than likely can give you an idea what it was. He is a hunter and a very good one. We have cattle and sheep also and some of them have been attacked cruelly. My husband is out hunting and watching when he can and it is so heart wrenching. We keep going though and hope you get some more hens and many blessings.
Your welcome and try not to blame yourself. Can you tell me how I find the photos and I can show my husband?
Hi there! And know the feeling of losing hens like this. My husband and I have had similar happen with our hens,ducks,geese. Some have just vanished also and the same as yours:hitDo you mind if I show my husband the photos as he more than likely can give you an idea what it was. He is a hunter and a very good one. We have cattle and sheep also and some of them have been attacked cruelly. My husband is out hunting and watching when he can and it is so heart wrenching. We keep going though and hope you get some more hens and many blessings.
[/QUOTE]
I am sorry for your losses as well. I don't mind at all about you showing the photos, any and all input is very much appreciated. I have such guilt coupled with lack of closure. Thank you for the kind words ❤❤
Thankyou and try not to feel too bad?:jumpyjust wandering how I find your photos to show my husband? Hope you can start up again. It is not always easy but worth it🌼

It’s Coyote breeding season so you see one they’re more close and my dealings with Fox they get one then back later for more not killing or taking more than Dinner Coyotes the same so I’m guessing there were more than one and all took home a meal
Hate that this happened to you ! At one time or the other we all deal with it Sorry

Back
Top Bottom