Predator

OMG!!  What is on your pens that they got through?  I have chicken wire all around including the bottom.  Can they get through that?

We have two coops, one is all metal with a ten foot connected run, 6 ft chain link with hardware cloth 4ft up on three sides and goes a foot out on the ground with big rocks all around the perimeter. (One side is connected to the other run) top is 10ft up with netting.
Second coop is wood 5ft high with about a 40ft run, same fence line. This one isn't covered due to many small trees in the center for shade and aerial predator protection.

They were climbing the fence line and nabbing my chickens and one mallard, even took two roosters.
We now lock everyone in every single night. I want to put up an electric fence but worried one of my kids will hit it when they go out with me. (1yr,2yr,5yr)

Chicken wire only does one thing...keeps your chickens in place. Racoons can actually reach right in and will try to grab a bird.
If you get a family, they will coordinate and surround a bird in the run and scare it towards a member waiting on the fence line to grab them. This is how they caught a couple of my birds, before we found a small hole in the fence line next to a coop.
You need to use hardware cloth to prevent them from reaching in.
They are extremely good climbers too.

Last edited:
OMG!! What is on your pens that they got through? I have chicken wire all around including the bottom. Can they get through that?
a raccoon can easily rip through chicken wire, (my grand parents used chicken wire and they ripped through it killing all there pheasants), not sure about foxes and coyotes (if you have them there) bears,hogs/wild pigs could rip through it.

Back
Top Bottom