Predator

JCOP

Chirping
Apr 10, 2021
Nitro, wv
Recently lost 7 to a predator and now a a few of my hens stopped laying. It's been 4 days since the attack. Anyone know when they all will start laying again?

Each chicken is different.
Mine will actually stop laying when a predator passes through the yard (big predators like the bobcat, cougar, or bear). It will take them a couple weeks to jump back into laying.

Each chicken is different.
Mine will actually stop laying when a predator passes through the yard (big predators like the bobcat, cougar, or bear). It will take them a couple weeks to jump back into laying.
Wow. Im thinking it was coyotes. Hopefully they will get back to it soon.

Wow. Im thinking it was coyotes. Hopefully they will get back to it soon.
Coyotes tend to not come on my property due to the dogs but they do hang out across the road and irritate the farmer’s cows.
If you have a trail camera handy, you may want to put it up so you know what predator(s) it is and how close they are getting to your coop.

Last edited:
Coyotes tend to not come on my property due to the dogs but they do hang out across the road and irate the farmer’s cows.
If you have a trail camera handy, you may want to put it up so you know what predator(s) it is and how close they are getting to your coop.

If the predators aren't stopped you could lose them all especially if you don't know when or what got them(didn't see it happen) Maybe if you take a few security measures such as installing a camera and putting up Electric fencing you can stop some of the predators.If something big as a coyote is getting your chickens you need fences.

Back
Top Bottom