Predators and free ranging

I've taken the chickens out twice since the attack, but only for a short period. Then it's a real circus trying to round them up and back into their run. If it isn't "that time of day" they don't want to go back and I can't blame them. They had a great time eating berries of some bushes at the back of the property and eventually went to the backyard for a dust bath in their favorite stump. I carry a small broom -- that's all it takes to keep them mostly in the same area -- I don't use it, just carry it like a shepherds hook. lol

I really feel bad having them locked up all day.

You need to train those dogs and make use of them. I never felt comfortable ranging my birds until I started using the dog.

I use a heeler to protect my flock. She isn't out all the time but the time she is out is plenty to keep even airborne predators far far away. They don't want to tangle with her. Being a livestock breed as soon as she was shown not to chase them, she adopted them as her charges in place of cattle and guards them furiously. She even knows what chickens and ducks belong to us and which do not. If wild ducks come into the yard she will chase them away.

I also use her to herd the birds if I need to bring them in during the day for some reason. Heelers are bred to work cattle on ranches and it runs in their blood to do this sort of thing, so even though they are chickens and ducks, she loves what she does and takes it very seriously.

I have an Aussie mix and would say the same. At first she wanted to chase and play with the chickens, but now they are her flock. She was concerned and got me and showed me when one escaped so I could catch it, she didn't chase it or scare it at all. She lets me know when a neighbor dog is on the way over. She knows the command "go check the chickens" and will do a lap around the coop. Even dogs that initially want to chase/eat/play with your hens can be taught to focus that energy into something productive. Good luck! Currently I too am living in fear of a new neighbor's "free range" unfriendly dogs. I am working on taking photos of the dogs all around the neighborhood in places other than their own yard. I will be presenting my evidence to animal control soon.

I have an Aussie mix and would say the same. At first she wanted to chase and play with the chickens, but now they are her flock. She was concerned and got me and showed me when one escaped so I could catch it, she didn't chase it or scare it at all. She lets me know when a neighbor dog is on the way over. She knows the command "go check the chickens" and will do a lap around the coop. Even dogs that initially want to chase/eat/play with your hens can be taught to focus that energy into something productive. Good luck! Currently I too am living in fear of a new neighbor's "free range" unfriendly dogs. I am working on taking photos of the dogs all around the neighborhood in places other than their own yard. I will be presenting my evidence to animal control soon.
Most dogs except for the worst of chicken chasers or killers can be taught otherwise. Mine wanted to chase them for sure, she didn't realize they were stock and thought they were for her to run after. But it was easy to break her of with some persistence. All my dogs wanted to chase them actually except one. And they all are fine now. So it's not actually -that- hard. People just refuse to TRAIN THEIR DOGS TO DO ANYTHING

That is why working animals are so rare now. I have a stock dog and a service dog. 2 working animals. The rest of the world is lucky if their dogs know how to sit on command.

Back
Top Bottom