Predators and free ranging

As an alternative fencing option, consider using electrified poultry netting that. It is less intimidating to on lookers and easy to put up. I have a high with four fence units and initially no experience using the nets in in an urban setting very effectively.

Electric wiring or electric poultry netting for fencing is a great idea! It isn't that hard to set up either, even I can follow the directions LOL. With free ranging, you need to be prepared to lose birds. With only 6, it is possible that you can lose your whole flock in one day. I free range and have to be prepared every day that something bad could happen, but for me its the right choice to see my girls happy and doing what they love. I am only free ranging for a few hours before sunset right now, as they are all at POL, and I don't want them laying all over the land!

You have a great potential tool in that dog of yours.
take the time to teach it to not chase your chickens.
then most of your pred problems will be over.
including neighbor's dog..
we have a pair of Maremma LGD.
we have every pred you can name except mt lions.
free range the chickens .
we have a river running half way around our property and beyond that are miles of forest.
we have not lost a bird in 8 year.
the dogs do not bond with the chickens per se, but just their presence is enough to deter the preds.

I don't free range where i live (about 10 acres i think) too many predators. We have the fur bearing ones. Weasels coons and coyotes. Then we having the flying ones hawks eagels and owls

I can't imagine having to deal with a problem dog that isn't even mine. I just would not do it, not even for a hot second. The electric fence will work wonders on ground predators but you're still going to have sky threats.Keeping your rooster will at least give a nice alert for that if he's any good. I personally don't clip wings I think they need every escape advantage possible. You will probably still lose a bird now and again but that's possible even if you have them penned.

Does anyone clip their chickens wings when free ranging or is it better not to so that they can get away from predators by flying into a tree
If it's a heavier chicken they won't be able to necessarily "fly" away...but full wings will give it an advantage.

We have guinea fowl and I trimmed their wings so they couldn't roost on the joists of the coop over my head last winter. We've have a predator, very confident it's a fox...slowly picking away at the guineas the as they venture farther away away from the yard. It appears the guineas that have been taken have been the ones with trimmed wings.

We have poultry netting on hand for such an event, this is our first time using it. The remaining guineas will occasionally fly out of the fence. But then they will also fly back into the fence if something was to rush at them. We will keep the fence up until the foxes have been taken care of. I may keep it after as well but the flock will be allowed to free range again.

The red dot is where the last guinea was taken from. I was in the yard at the time. Foxes are very brazen.
20170811_164113shopped1.jpg

Does anyone clip their chickens wings when free ranging or is it better not to so that they can get away from predators by flying into a tree

Clipping a chickens' primary flight feathers and free ranging are in no way the same thing. You can give your chickens free and unfettered access to 25 or more acres and legitimately claim that you are raising your birds free range or you can clip their wings, in which case you have removed one of the three dimensions that free range chickens enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom