Predators and pests, both describe my neighbors

paradisefarm2009; I understand the feeling of wanting to get back at the thieves, but boards with nails are really not a good idea for many reasons. The thieves would probably end up being the last people that stepped on them and even if they did, the OP could be sued for the dangerous conditions on her property as it would be COMPLETELY her fault. Please, nobody do this.

I wish I had an answer for the OP's problem. My advice would be to go ahead and live your life as you have the right to do and don't spend a lot of time planning to get back at your neighbors. You have no control over their bad behavior. You really don't. You aren't even certain who it was. If you feel like letting off steam, you might write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper. State what happened just like you did here and then state how you feel. I would leave out the word 'neighbor' and substitue the word 'thief'. Let them know that people are watching....

I will buy a long crower for ya
wink.png

I hate people sometimes

Quote:
No No No No, you're doing it all wrong, nails in boards imply human maliciousness. When I had trespassing kids/adults on 4-wheelers tearing up my property, I tried cutting down a few trees across the trails to hinder that---didn't work, they just went around the tree and/or cut a new path. So I used a machete to cut clusters of locust thorns into a five gallon bucket and using gloves scattered them in the weeds of the paths they made with the 4-wheelers. Having to repair flats all the time did work, they stopped using my property to run their infernal machines.

Wouldn't be easier to borrow or buy a humane cat trap and bring the cat to the shelter? They would have to pay a fine and I can tell you, people are tight when it comes to money. Always go for the wallet. If you want to know who it is get a few of your friends online and use a cam..skype maybe? Cheap easy and people are nosy. If they see someone trespassing have them call the law. Don't do crazy crap. I think it stinks what they did to you.

Electric fence is a people stopper! Hook a car battery with jumper cables to the fence after dusk.
tongue.png
I'd do the security lights (motion sensor) and a lazer pen, you dont even need a gun. when the light goes on , simply point the laser pen at the individual and suggest the night vision sight is on them and they ought not move. Tell them the police have been called. You can give them the chance to give up and lay on the ground, or shoot them, which you wouldnt do anyways. But ...do call the police. The laser pen works great , have them put their hands in air. they wont know if its a night sight or not. Worked for me in the city years ago. Now I would just fire a warning shot.

Quote:
I am not giving advice to escalate the problem. however the OP says that the farm was their before the property across the road/street was developed. Legal to keep roosters.

My advice pertaining to the rooster (getting a replacement and never being with out one) is/was basicly in the same tone that I met my new nieghbors with.

That was---------

"Howdy new nieghbors welcome to the nieghborhood, hope to get to know you better, hope you enjoy the friendly lifestyle. We watch out for each other and help each other out. I'm a pretty good handy man so if you need some help give me a shout, send up a flag, or ring a bell, I'll come running. By the way I have chickens, been having'em for years, nothing like fresh eggs. And you can listen to Stewie the Rooster crow for free."

It's friendly, and I mean what I say about helping out and keeping an eye on the place. Not being nosey, being protective of those young people. It also gives them the message that I have chickens and the purpose of having those chickens is to provide food along with entertainment, and Stewie the Rooster is there for a purpose other than aggravating the nieghbors.

By the way my new nieghbors are 3 -- 25 year old guys, for all 3 this is the first home away from Momma. So yes, I was a bit worried about loud parties, booming stereos, and half nekked girls running everywhere. They have been polite, courteous and quiet, not a problem at all.

When it's all said and done Stewie the Rooster crows all day. The home the nieghbors live in is well insulated, seperated by a very heavy hedge and several hundreds of feet from Stewie. So I don't think they hear very much at all.

Not advising the OP to get a loud rooster, guineas, peafowl or even several roosters, but if the nieghbors hear the rooster prior to moving in, thay are atleast aware of the noise, from the get-go.

Id also lock the coop up In this case I also agree with electric fence but i would use 12 gauge barbed wire and electrify it Id also get a cattle low impedance fencer.... Invest in a game cam when you can and Id get motion lights... If the farm was there first and you move in next door to build a home your SOL if my cows stink my goats / sheep baaa and my pigs squeal also if my rooser crows tough crap its as simple as I dint tell you to build in the country... I hate snobby city folk we had a group of like 5 families move in to the 30 acres next door they put in a private drive well they all get together and without a contract figure the new simgle mom ought to have to pay 300 bucks or more a year for maintanance on the shared drive plowing snow and gravel etc... Again NO contract or association etc just their word for it... she of course refuses so the next winter we get like 18 inches of heavy lake erie snow... I pop over and see the neighbors have plowed out the main drive and their branches but have left her plowed in also they pile up snow in front of her drive... Well It whizzes me off and I jump into my Allis Chalmers 7040 tractor tires are 24 inches wide and stand taller than I do I have a 9 foot blade on it and in 5 min I have her cleared out as she was tryin to had shovel... Well the neighbor stops me and says we are tryin to teach her a lesson why you plow her out... I simply pointed out that if she wanted to teach them a lesson my 165 HP tractor could pile snow higher than their 4x4 pick up and that IM more than happy to play along well weve never had a issue since I pop in plow the drive they scowel and all is well... Folks are jerks and the ONLY way to deal with it is to stand up to em....

Poo - moat. Whoever it is needs to step in the nastiest stuff you've got, kept appropriately moist. I'm sorry about your neighbors. I had one a few years ago who was firing a pellet gun at his motor home he parked about 8 inches away from my privacy fence. I found pellets in my yard. My german shepherd border collie can still recognize this guy by voice, and he wants him for lunch. Fortunately the kid eventually moved and bothers someone else.

I see some good advice here and some not so good.

The best you can do is to lock up stuff and get cameras or some sort of survelliance.
It's easy for humans to get past locks, so you really need to spot him on camera.
Invest in a simple security system.
If you catch him, press charges. That's how you fight back.

As I said before, forget the rooster unless you want him for intruder bait, or unless you are looking to provoke the neighbors.
Sure, roosters may be legal, but do you really want the hassle that positively comes with it?
Is a roo that important to you?
Remember...you said you didn't have a rooster before. Getting one was the spark that set off your trouble here.
Neighbors need to make small accomodations for each other occaisionally to keep the peace.

spot

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
I feel badly for the OP, and I agree with spot's advice. Makes me sick to think what fate your rooster may have met with. I don't know if cockfighting is prevalent in your area, but it is in mine, and I would only assume one thing if a rooster went missing, and I would assume the same thing if my dog was taken out of my yard. A padlock that you open with a combination or a key sounds like the way to go with all of your animal pens.

Back
Top Bottom