Predators in Alabama?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LittleLady98, Mar 3, 2011.

1. I can't find many predators for AL on the internet...Does anyone know of predators that I should be wary of other than hawks? (I have come VERY close to losing small kittens to them...and I think a hawk killed one of my other kittens, I miss him too!!!)

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

I'm positive you have raccoons, coyotes, fox, weasels, opossums and of course, roaming domestic dogs and cats and probably bears. You have mostly the same as we have here in GA.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Songster

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:Agreed! I have personally seen all of these here. But don't forget bobcats too!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  4. terrilhb

terrilhb Songster

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I agree with Speckledhen. Alabama is close to Ga. And we have all those here.

5. OH NO!!!!!! I don't have bears and bobcats where I live!!! I'm near B'ham!!!!! If I EVER see those it'll be in the zoo!

6. hiker125

hiker125 Songster

Apr 6, 2010
    Henryville
    Quote:You would be surpised what shows up once you have chickens. I live in the middle of a metropolitan area and have coyotes all over the place. They show absolutely no fear of humans.

7. I have seen foxes and coyotes near B'ham...but not too close to my part of the area. I hope I NEVER lose any of my chickens that kind of way!!! *GULP*

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

I have bears here, so you do there. And I've seen a bobcat crossing the road in broad daylight a couple miles away. Trust me, you don't think you do, but you do have them.

9. austin.ray22

austin.ray22 Chirping

Jun 11, 2010
    Cullman
    I must agree that we have all those around Cullman

10. Great...Now I gotta watch out for a BEAR going down the street...Haha [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: