Predators of the coyote kind.

dmolsen

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
I am new here but I have a question regarding how everyone is dealing with predators, particularly coyotes. We live on about 9 acres and see them actually coming in fairly close. I can't allow my chickens to free range as I am afraid they would become dinner for these shrewd killers. Is it the norm in this area to have to keep the chickens penned all the time?

Don't know where you are, but I'm in central Ga. We have coyotes in the area, but rarely see. Occasional fox. But frequent raccoon, opossum and occasional stray or neighbor dog. Lots of hawks. I have mine in confinement and they are Happy Hens!.

I have seen ads for fencing to keep out coyotes and they all show a special non- climb top. With 9 acres that would be $$$$$$$.

Guess it depends on what breeds you have and your personal feelings about losses on how to deal with the situation.

Rural people here think donkeys keep coyotes away, but I don't know it that really works.

I am in Arlington, WA. Our latest incident was the death of a chicken where the head appeared to be taken and the remainder of the chicken still in the coop. As much as we can figure, the hen stuck her neck out of the fence to snag some grass and a coyote or some other predator caught her in the act. We thought we had built a coop to keep our hens safe but failed miserably. Obviously, we are adding some small hardware cloth to the fencing this week.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom