Predators on the prowl

DWH

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
There is a pack of dogs running through my neighborhood an I need to know how to stop them! Btw, they got my rooster and killed him:( because he was fighting them, but he saved all our other chickens.

Sorry you lost your roo!!! Can you call animal control for assistance with the dogs that are running loose? Are the chickens in a fenced in are or free roaming? You may want to consider fencing them for a while until the dogs are deal with....Also, a lot of folks swear by electric wire to keep predators (other than owls, hawks etc.) out
And
welcome-byc.gif
from WI

call the cops asap and report it, if you catch the dogs attacking take a gun out with you, but try and shoo them first, if they wont shoo then shoot them. then call the cops again and report it.

We all have a significant investment of time and $$$$ in our birds. Since I have no patience with people who won't control their animals, I have a three step process for this type of issue. No exceptions. 1. Tell the owner with a warning if another incident occurs. 2. Call Animal Control or Sheriff. 3. If it happens again, BANG!!!.

It's my responsibility to keep them safe. Knowing that there are animals out there that will kill them, our chickens are well protected by a fenced run and coop that is locked up every night.

Last edited:
We are building apen right now even though a chain link dog lot wasn't enough. Also that's exactly what it was, somebody in the apartments near where we live didn't keep their dogs on a leash and let them pack up!

Awwww...so sorry for the loss of your roo. He sounded as if he was a keeper, standing up to those dogs. How sad.

I have hot wire around my pen...keeps out almost all predators, dogs included.

Report the killing of your roo to the police and animal control. If the dogs come back shoot/kill them.

If you cannot do that then they take the owners to court...you may not get much for your poor, heroic rooster but they will be fined. A pack of dogs is very dangerous to chickens and humans as well.
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom