1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Predators that decapitate chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by enola, Jul 9, 2011.

1. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What kind of predator--wild or domestic--would take only the head and neck of a chicken, leaving the rest of the chicken undamaged? I have lost too many chickens now to this menace. I have closed up all holes and set traps around chicken house, but have NOT seen this predator -- 'possum, fox, raccoon, cat, ect. It's puzzling because it's killing my best chickens, but only taking the head and neck. Anybody have any ideas about what it could be?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Raccoon are famous for that, even reaching through wire to pull head off. Since you say you've been reinforcing and still getting attacks I'd guess it's a weasel. I read on here to wrap your live traps in hardware cloth or they'll simply squeeze out after setting it.

3. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Weasels do that with the plan to come back later and finish their dinner.

4. Rhondax6

Rhondax6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Were they in the coop at the time? Id say something that uses it's hands if that were the case. Otherwise we have a fox and it has taken only the head twice now.

5. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    The other predator that will do this is Mr. Possum. They kill just to be killing.

6. enola

I guess I should've said that I've only recently fixed the holes--as of this morning. So I'm not sure yet what I'll come home to, now that the holes have been patched. Hopefully this has fixed the problem. I was wondering, however, what kind of predator would kill my chickens by decapitating them, head and neck only, leaving the rest of the body alone. I suspected raccoon, or maybe a 'possum.

7. enola

And yes, they were in a coop when they were attacked.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi enola, sorry to hear of the loss.

I just found a beheaded hen in my run yesterday, but her feathers were outside the run. Mostly.
    First time I've had any such attack, I'm pretty certain we have our first raccoon. I'm thinking it attacked early morning or very late afternoon.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We lost 5 a few months ago to coyote. One was beheaded, no other damage visible. A neighbor saw the attack.

10. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    OPOSSUM!!! It got a few of ours. Coons will to but the possum is notorius for killing for fun! The coon that got one dug under and could get hold just enough but actually took of the hens back half. The opossums just beheaded and left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by