Predators that Roosters deter?

cordelia1234

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
Does anyone know exactly what predators a rooster will attack to protect his girls? We have an aggresive rooster - to my husband - and I am trying to justify his existence in our small flock. I have read answers on how to deal with an aggresive rooster, but my husband still wants to get rid of him. I am afraid that if we do, we will come home to dead hens from a bobcat, hawk, ?. Our rooster will stare down the dog through the fence, so I am thinking he must deter some wild predator with a taste for chicken. Thanks for your help

welcome-byc.gif

Roosters may attack many predators, that doesn't mean they will prevail. They may just be the first to die.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Maybe my post will get you some other opinions.

A large rooster may be able to fight off a smaller hawk-Cooper's or sharp shin. After that they can only deter, serve as a temporary obstacle. No rooster is a match for an aggressive dog, bobcat, fox, coyote, large hawk or owl.
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
A large enough rooster may fight off smaller hawks: Cooper's or sharp shins. After that, all they can do is deter: temporarily distract a predator. No rooster is consistently a match for dogs, fox, bobcats,coyotes, large hawks or owls.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
I have seen my Henry give a dog a fright.
and then theres Big shot, an ameraucana roo,Mathida abuff orp and Amos,
king tut, and Tuffy all free range. What they keep away
I dont know, but after a yr. they are
all still here.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom