Predators

mothergoose5goslings

Hatching
9 Years
May 23, 2010
i bought and raised 14 baby chicks from a feed store. they are about 3 mnths old. i then bought 33 adult hens and roosters of various ages and sizes. i put them all in my chicken pen together and all was fine the 1st night. the 2nd night 2 banty seabrites were gone, nothing but feathers. i moved the bantys into smaller wire pens of their own breeds and left the large breeds together.the next morning 11 dead and missing chickens,some had heads and butts missing some were completely gone and some were laying in the yard. all my bantams are dead and gone. so i locked up all the big ones and tried again. they were fine or so i thought we watched closely all day as the hens played in their pen, when we went to feed them that evening 10 of my babies were gone , no feathers no nothing in day light with us in the yard! ! does anyone have any ideas on what it is???? or how to get rid of it???im down 21 chickens and desperate to stop what ever it is!!!!!

its a raccoon. they have their littlers of kits in april usually, and they can have up to 8 at a time. mama coon could be teaching the younguns how to find their own food. And looks like she found an easy meal at your coop. She'll most likely come back every night till they are all gone. You need to predator-proof your coop. How is the coon getting in? Where are the openings? get a lock for the pop door if you have one. keep in mind, coons climb, chew, and are surprisingly good with their hands. They can turn doorknobs, and open hooks and latches. Think like a coon, and then think like a small child. If a 4 year old can get the lock open, so can a coon

Sounds like a raccoon and those critters are a pain. You need to set up a trap, bait it with cat food or canned tuna. You need to check all of your entryways into the coop, doors windows and etc. Coons have amazing dexterity and can unhook latches, turns handles and knobs. Some hardware change may be needed to keep them out.

I am so sorry for your losses but I think you have a family of coons raiding your birds.

Back
Top Bottom