Predatory chicken

Don Merriman

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2017
Hi all,
This is so strange and was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. One of my hens, Teri (she’s a Delaware), has started attacking and killing small birds and mice. Now I’ve had chickens kill mice before, but Teri will jump and pull sparrows right out of the air. She’s caught 3 in 2 days. She just learned to do this a couple days ago. We’ve been taking the dead or injured birds from her. Not sure if it would be a good idea to let her eat them.

I have a net over the run and I thought for sure they would land on the net, but they haven't. They are everywhere around it but not on top and I have a lot of birds.

How close does contact have to be for mites, lice and any other diseases?

I have a net over the run and I thought for sure they would land on the net, but they haven't. They are everywhere around it but not on top and I have a lot of birds.

How close does contact have to be for mites, lice and any other diseases?
If she's close enough to eat them, she's close enough to get mites and lice. Eating any part of her prize lets her share anything else the tidbit may carry.

I don't believe there has to be any kind of contact for a flock to pick up mites. Mice, rats, and birds are carriers, simply having a mouse travel through your coop/run can, in theory start an infestation. IMO, unless you keep your flock in a bubble, it's inevitable that they will be exposed to both external and internal parasites. IMO, best practice is to keep DL and good dust bathing opportunities around, as well as ensuring that the bird has a healthy gut and immune system.

Back
Top Bottom