1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Predominant breed in this rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KBrasby, Jan 13, 2016.

1. KBrasby

KBrasby Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2015
    I know this guy is a barnyard rooster but wondering if you see a predominant breed? He hatched in early September last year so still young. Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

2. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer Premium Member

Hmm, I cant see any other predominant breeds in him.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    White/pink skin, single comb, and clean legs rules out a fair number of breeds. Speckled Sussex (speckling is recessive) or Buff Orpington mix.

4. EggyTheHen

EggyTheHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    In the Henhouse!
    I don't know but....
    He's a really cute rooster by the way!! [​IMG]

5. KBrasby

Jun 29, 2015
    Thanks! I had hoped he was at least half something definite but I like him anyway. Thank you!

6. fire370

fire370 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas
    Good looking roo. I see mutt and no one breed sticking out.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My best guess would be a buff Orpington mixed with something black. The buff is one color that holds it's own genetically against black, and the white skin of the Orpington is dominant over yellow.

Another possibility could be a good dose of black copper Marans in there somewhere. They also have white skin, but the black coppers tend to be feather legged and that's a dominant trait also.

Sussex have white skin but his body shape looks off for that breed to me.

Faverolles also have white skin, but they have a lot of extras he's missing.

8. heygirl

heygirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Lake Park, Iowa
    [​IMG]
    I am starting to think I have a rooster. No crowing yet but he's mounting my girls all the time, his neck feathers appear to be like a rooster's what do you think? I separated him/her to see if I get an egg. I am getting 3 eggs out of 4 chicken so that would make sense if he was.

9. KBrasby

Jun 29, 2015
    This is very helpful to me. I'm trying to learn more about identifying breeds. My inclination is toward purebreds. I've shown goats and rabbits in the past and appreciate the predictability of purebred. I'm not interested in showing chickens but am intrigued with the breeding aspect: improving my herd. I've raised a lot of hatchery Leghorns for their egg production but am dabbling with colors. Kinda tired of just white on white. Thank you for your input. I'm learning a lot.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

To avoid confusion over which bird is being discussed, it's best to start your own thread, for future reference.

How old is your bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by