Predominant breed in this rooster?

KBrasby

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 29, 2015
I know this guy is a barnyard rooster but wondering if you see a predominant breed? He hatched in early September last year so still young. Thanks for your help!

I don't know but....
He's a really cute rooster by the way!!
big_smile.png

Thanks! I had hoped he was at least half something definite but I like him anyway. Thank you!

My best guess would be a buff Orpington mixed with something black. The buff is one color that holds it's own genetically against black, and the white skin of the Orpington is dominant over yellow.

Another possibility could be a good dose of black copper Marans in there somewhere. They also have white skin, but the black coppers tend to be feather legged and that's a dominant trait also.

Sussex have white skin but his body shape looks off for that breed to me.

Faverolles also have white skin, but they have a lot of extras he's missing.

I am starting to think I have a rooster. No crowing yet but he's mounting my girls all the time, his neck feathers appear to be like a rooster's what do you think? I separated him/her to see if I get an egg. I am getting 3 eggs out of 4 chicken so that would make sense if he was.

This is very helpful to me. I'm trying to learn more about identifying breeds. My inclination is toward purebreds. I've shown goats and rabbits in the past and appreciate the predictability of purebred. I'm not interested in showing chickens but am intrigued with the breeding aspect: improving my herd. I've raised a lot of hatchery Leghorns for their egg production but am dabbling with colors. Kinda tired of just white on white. Thank you for your input. I'm learning a lot.

I am starting to think I have a rooster. No crowing yet but he's mounting my girls all the time, his neck feathers appear to be like a rooster's what do you think? I separated him/her to see if I get an egg. I am getting 3 eggs out of 4 chicken so that would make sense if he was.

welcome-byc.gif

To avoid confusion over which bird is being discussed, it's best to start your own thread, for future reference.

How old is your bird?

Back
Top Bottom