Prefab coop... can I get my hopes up?

Pics

AnimalGeek23

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
New York State
I've seen many articles on BYC and other sites explaining how building your own coop is better than buying one.
I thought we'd give a prefab coop a try for now. Maybe make some adjustments...? Building from scratch is not for us, we live in a very closed-in town, so I thought it'd be easier and maybe better(?) to make some big adjustments with the prefab coop as a base. We're new to this so we don't know where to start :idunno
Any suggestions?
This is the coop we got(not my picture)
1590604510800.png

The reviews say that the wood is a bit flimsy. I also feel like adding extra latches to the nesting box. Is there a way to make the run bigger somehow...?
Sorry for my noobness, do any experienced builders out there have some suggestions?

Hi there! You will get A LOT of varying opinions here on building your own or prefab options. I like you know my building skills and didn't want to hunt around on FB and CL for parts. So I too bought a prefab coop - from Roost & Root in Austin, TX and then added a run on after the coop was assembled because I knew I would need more space in case my chickens couldn't free range. I think you really get what you pay for but if you are just looking to start, I think what you've chosen is a good place to see how it goes but you will probably end up replacing in a few years. Best thing I can offer is that you focus on predator proofing the bottom and all around. Then, the run seems like the easiest to add on to - depending on how many chickens and if you will free range - they will need a decent amount. Good luck!

I have a coop that my husband built four and a half years ago and is In excellent condition. Bought a prefab one about a month ago for a broody hen and some chicks and it is going to the dumpster Saturday. It leaked horribly and it was made of cheap wood that swelled up every time it rained and I can’t open the door or close it anymore. We had a bad rain last week and I was forced to remove the Broody and her babies and put them in the big coop with all the others and luckily things went very smoothly.I was kind of mad because my pre-fab coop that I bought was almost $300.

I would paint an exterior topcoat on all wood surfaces. Place the entire coop/run on pavers or bricks to help prevent rot. Add a predator apron (or big pavers- 12" or more- depends on your predators?).

Then I would look at adding another run that is not necessarily completely predator proof- for daytime and when you are home. Some folks use a dog run. Maybe a hoop coop. Maybe just a fenced in area.

Hi there! You will get A LOT of varying opinions here on building your own or prefab options. I like you know my building skills and didn't want to hunt around on FB and CL for parts. So I too bought a prefab coop - from Roost & Root in Austin, TX and then added a run on after the coop was assembled because I knew I would need more space in case my chickens couldn't free range. I think you really get what you pay for but if you are just looking to start, I think what you've chosen is a good place to see how it goes but you will probably end up replacing in a few years. Best thing I can offer is that you focus on predator proofing the bottom and all around. Then, the run seems like the easiest to add on to - depending on how many chickens and if you will free range - they will need a decent amount. Good luck!
Thank you! Will do, we'll make sure to predator-proof the coop with mesh and locks.

Pictures always make them look bigger than they are. First thing first, what are the measurements and how many chickens will you put in there?
We will probably putting in 4 hens at most in there in the future. For now, 7 4 week old pullets.
The measurements are 81.8" x 50.0" x 43.0". It may be a little cramped, so I'm thinking of adding to the run.

I have a coop that my husband built four and a half years ago and is In excellent condition. Bought a prefab one about a month ago for a broody hen and some chicks and it is going to the dumpster Saturday. It leaked horribly and it was made of cheap wood that swelled up every time it rained and I can’t open the door or close it anymore. We had a bad rain last week and I was forced to remove the Broody and her babies and put them in the big coop with all the others and luckily things went very smoothly.I was kind of mad because my pre-fab coop that I bought was almost $300.
:barnie That must be really frustrating... Is there any way to salvage a prefab coop to make it last longer?

Thank you! Will do, we'll make sure to predator-proof the coop with mesh and locks.

We will probably putting in 4 hens at most in there in the future. For now, 7 4 week old pullets.
The measurements are 81.8" x 50.0" x 43.0". It may be a little cramped, so I'm thinking of adding to the run.

:barnie That must be really frustrating... Is there any way to salvage a prefab coop to make it last longer?
I would stay away from this one that we got. My husband built ours about 4 1/2 years ago and it is so funny because he used a lot of pallet wood that he had at his workplace So we didn’t have to pay for it. ☺️ We did have to use some plywood of course but what cost the most was the quarter inch grid wire that we put on all sides and on the underneath. Even with that I didn’t feel like it was enough room so we have since built the fenced in area.

Attachments

• 8F1A7611-1DD8-4F15-9D9B-BEAA2E0286E6.jpeg
    8F1A7611-1DD8-4F15-9D9B-BEAA2E0286E6.jpeg
    387 KB · Views: 23
  • 145319EC-A29C-4728-AA7D-E1F2530D91F6.jpeg
    145319EC-A29C-4728-AA7D-E1F2530D91F6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Do you have a link to the product, please?

If 43" is the width and includes the nests, the coop itself is probably only 30" x maybe 36".
Wont be good for 4 birds in your climate, could become completey covered in snow.
I see no ventilation either.

Might work if you put the whole coop inside a very large predator and weather proof run.

Do you have a link to the product, please?

If 43" is the width and includes the nests, the coop itself is probably only 30" x maybe 36".
Wont be good for 4 birds in your climate, could become completey covered in snow.
I see no ventilation either.

Might work if you put the whole coop inside a very large predator and weather proof run.
Ventilation is a good point. It gets pretty cold here in the winter. I think it should last the summer though. Maybe we can buy one of those dog kennels and put the coop inside? Kind of like this:
1590625028900.png

(stole the image off of google )
Thanks for the help :)

Maybe we can buy one of those dog kennels and put the coop inside?
Might work.
Needs a very sturdy roof to hold up to snow load...which can be challenging.
And chain link usually needs significant reinforcement with smaller holed mesh.

Still need link to coop.....I suspect it's rather small.

Back
Top Bottom