Prefab coop... can I get my hopes up?

Interesting idea - is there a minimum rental period so you can establish that "YES, WE LOVE CHICKENS!" that you can basically win everyone over then make what you want? May be a good compromise if the family is on the proverbial fence.

The run I built was a fraction of the cost of the coop, so that might be an option for you - and it required basic skills, whereas our coop had some trickier angles, etc. I'll post a pic of mine and can share more info on it if you like. My husband didn't enjoy some of the process (we each know enough to want to do things differently sometimes), but now that it's finished I catch him outside in a chair talking to them from outside the run ;)
Minimum is three months rental....plenty of time to prove chicken awesomeness!!! I figured that for building a run, you make long box with a door frame, then fill in the gaps with hardware cloth? does that kinda make sense how I explained it? Point is, I thiiiiiiiiiink I can make a run ok.

I dont want to be nosy... but then again....
But it seems to me you will have "no help whatsoever" with this project. Am I correct in my thinking?
I also understand that you yourself knows little to nothing about basic building?
BUT, are you a person who could be "walked through" instructions?

I dont want to be nosy... but then again....
But it seems to me you will have "no help whatsoever" with this project. Am I correct in my thinking?
I also understand that you yourself knows little to nothing about basic building?
BUT, are you a person who could be "walked through" instructions?
I would have some help with it, but it would be mostly me because of social distancing, and as I am the person advocating for chickens, I would be the one in my household doing all the work for them (which I'm CERTAINLY prepared to do) I could be walked through instructions pretty easily.

Minimum is three months rental....plenty of time to prove chicken awesomeness!!! I figured that for building a run, you make long box with a door frame, then fill in the gaps with hardware cloth? does that kinda make sense how I explained it? Point is, I thiiiiiiiiiink I can make a run ok.
This one I did 90% solo. Built a frame front and back wall, cut roof supports and end supports, then attached hardware cloth in strips top to bottom with extra for the skirt at the bottom.

The plan for it was less than $10 and easy to follow. Let me know and I can share a link to the YT video so you can see if you're up for it :)

I would have some help with it, but it would be mostly me because of social distancing, and as I am the person advocating for chickens, I would be the one in my household doing all the work for them (which I'm CERTAINLY prepared to do) I could be walked through instructions pretty easily.
And you have access to tools? Saw, screw gun, and so on?

This one I did 90% solo. Built a frame front and back wall, cut roof supports and end supports, then attached hardware cloth in strips top to bottom with extra for the skirt at the bottom.

The plan for it was less than $10 and easy to follow. Let me know and I can share a link to the YT video so you can see if you're up for it :)
I think that with all the help you can find here and with this lovely offer.... build yourself what you need! Small coops are easy! If these plans arent for you... then certainly there are others you could use that are even better!

Sure! We might end up renting chickens and the rental comes with a coop, but hopefully once I'm able to PROVE CHICKEN AWESOMENESS with the rental, I'll be able to build a coop. Linking the plans/video would be great! thank you so much!

The rest of my household wants to do the chicken rental thing you can find on the same site, you pay and rent out the coop, feeder, waterer, and chickens, and they give you some starter bedding and food ect. basically to try out chickens.

Eh, if that's what it takes to convince them to try keeping chickens, then maybe go that route. But the coop they'll send you is probably not going to be any bigger than the one you were already looking at.

Honestly they are not worth the money. You’d be better off buying a dog kennel and putting a dog house in it. My daughter bought one and the ladder to the coop was so cheaply made it busted and the hinge on it ripped right out of the stand. It said was for 2 chickens and if one was up top the other could be at the bottom but not both at the same time in either area. I had 2 3 month old Cochins in it, had to move them out of it. It leaked badly I had to keep replacing the bedding on a daily basis when it rained, then the bottom rotted out of the upper coop part. The wood cracked on it and if I didn’t have yard dogs, it would be easy for predators to get in it. It went right into the fire pit! I will never again waste my money on these types of coops! Check Craig’s list or other for sale ads. There are people out there that build pens for a living. They could give you a quote for your needs. You’d get a better built pen for your money!

Thank you! Will do, we'll make sure to predator-proof the coop with mesh and locks.
We will probably putting in 4 hens at most in there in the future. For now, 7 4 week old pullets.
The measurements are 81.8" x 50.0" x 43.0". It may be a little cramped, so I'm thinking of adding to the run.

:barnie That must be really frustrating... Is there any way to salvage a prefab coop to make it last longer?
Use it for bantam chickens. In mine there was only room for 4 small bantams. And the included run was way too small. Even way too small for 4 tiny chickens. First thing I did was making an outside run with mesh panels.
After 9 months I made an extension to the coop and a 10x10’ run.

A prefab coop can last longer, if you put a larger solid roof with overhang on top.
Cover the hinges for a flap on hanging laying nests with waterproof material like EPDM.

My prefab coop is 8 years old now, and still in use. But I would not recommend buying one.

Pictures in this thread:

I have been upgrading my old coop a little. No major works but a fungus paint that works as conservative and blackened the wood. The chickens don’t care. And I haven’t used it on the inside ;) .
The fungi (xhylo) is 100% natural.

View attachment 2159184
This is how it looked like new from the shop. Too small for > 4 tiny bantams.

After 8 years (with a new roof and extension)View attachment 2159209

After 8 and a half years:
View attachment 2159181
The black fungi (xhylo) is 100% natural. And after drying I have to paint/spray it with linseedoil (lijnzaadolie)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom