Prefab coops?

Good idea looking on cl....

I'm just so unsure of all the ways to make the coop habitable and comfortable for the girls with having to make adjustments to a shed... ventilation, and easy cleanig of flooring and nest box set up...
I'll look more tonight .
In the mean time are there better brands in the prefabs world?

I've heard really good things about Carolina Coops, but they're wicked expensive. Or many farms in your area may sell pe-made coops... As others have said, the pre-fabbed ones you can get at your feed store or off amazon are made of really poor quality materials... I considered them until I realized I'd have to replace it within a year.

https://www.carolinacoops.com/

I am having a similar problem. I want to build a coop for my three girls but I'm overwhelmed and an added time constraint doesn't make me feel any better! Do I buy a cheap prefab one now and build one later? Do I just drop all my other responsibilities and throw one together on a weekend? So frustrating! There are lots of great ideas here, but there are too many! I need to get my girls out of their brooder soon.

OK so I did some looking. Nothing out there of any quality that is even half decent in price.

No way would I ever pay 300 bucks for a tiny coop made of cruddy materials.

A better investment may be to knuckle down and build a sturdy coop for similar price.

A sheet of plywood is 4x8 feet and runs 35 bucks on the high side. If one were to make a 4x8 coop raised 2 feet up they would need....
1 sheet of plywood for floor. $35
3 sheets of siding for exterior. $90
24 2x4 @8 feet long. $72
2 sheets roof decking (that leaves plenty for a big overhang). $50
2 4x4 @8 foot long for the legs. $40 max.
Tar paper and shingles. $100 max.

Hinges, screws and nails vary a lot more then lumber but should be less then 60 bucks.

So for under 500 dollars the coop can be built with nice size and sturdy as a human house.

The run is not listed since they can vary a ton too.

Maybe a pain in the bottom but certainly cheaper then a junk coop.

Graph paper is your friend!

I was in the same position. I wanted to get my feet wet first and figure out what I was doing. But not at the expense of my girls or quality, let alone my wallet. After looking at the major box type stores I saw that a huff and a puff could blow them over. After much research we finally went with one From The Chicken Coop Company. I am impressed with its sturdiness and construction. I did a few small tweaks to the roosts but that is it. Good latches etc. Plus free freight helped on the price. I will add a larger run as they grow but free range is the plan for the future.

Ok so I've decided to build a coop!
But now I don't know how big to build!

If I keep all 8 chickens that are coming, does a 4x8 coop give me enough space per bird? I think that's 4sqf/ bird right?

Back
Top Bottom