1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Prefer hatching in winter.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wanttobefarmer, Sep 3, 2011.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I've only had chickens for a few years now, but after buying my first five at the feed store, I quickly bought an incubator and started hatching my own. I bought the first five in January and the next groups that I hatched out were in the winter. This year I've had about 6 hatches from march to september. I have had the worst luck keeping them alive. The heat is really hard on them. I can keep a chick warm no problem, but keeping them cool in texas after they are a few weeks old is hard. Also predators likes snakes are not hibernating. I've lost chicks and ducks up to six and 8 weeks of age to snakes that can get inside anything it seems. Mosquitos are worse and virus like dry pox that is carried by mosquitos. Any way just wanted to share an opinion that I have come to from my experience of hatching in winter instead of summer. I'd love to hear yours.

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I like early spring chicks. Up here they will freeze before they hit the nest during winter

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I used to hatch all winter but haven't the last couple of years. It's been kind of nice not having chicks in the basement all winter honestly.

4. mommywoes

mommywoes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I'm thinking I might try winter hatching instead depending on how this next group turns out [​IMG] . You see I had 2 hens that went broody and I let them keep some eggs (16). They had no problem sharing while sitting but once they started to hatch mayhem ensued. My Danish leghorn killed any chick that hatched that didn't look like her (which they probably won't because my Roo is a Turken), so I took the remaining eggs (8) away and all that is left now is one egg. 2 quit 5 have hatched but for one reason or another these chicks aren't making it. I thought one would make it but I left the house for hour and when I came home there was the chick belly up in the brooder [​IMG] . It was the only one to clear the egg, the rest aren't even making it out of the egg. And it's not like I could help them either because they would pip, zip, then nothing... they never finished absorbing the yolk. [​IMG]

Needless to say I'm sooo frustrated:he and I'm just praying the eggs I ordered will actually hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by