Prefer hatching in winter.

wanttobefarmer

Songster
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Elgin, TX
I've only had chickens for a few years now, but after buying my first five at the feed store, I quickly bought an incubator and started hatching my own. I bought the first five in January and the next groups that I hatched out were in the winter. This year I've had about 6 hatches from march to september. I have had the worst luck keeping them alive. The heat is really hard on them. I can keep a chick warm no problem, but keeping them cool in texas after they are a few weeks old is hard. Also predators likes snakes are not hibernating. I've lost chicks and ducks up to six and 8 weeks of age to snakes that can get inside anything it seems. Mosquitos are worse and virus like dry pox that is carried by mosquitos. Any way just wanted to share an opinion that I have come to from my experience of hatching in winter instead of summer. I'd love to hear yours.

I'm thinking I might try winter hatching instead depending on how this next group turns out
idunno.gif
. You see I had 2 hens that went broody and I let them keep some eggs (16). They had no problem sharing while sitting but once they started to hatch mayhem ensued. My Danish leghorn killed any chick that hatched that didn't look like her (which they probably won't because my Roo is a Turken), so I took the remaining eggs (8) away and all that is left now is one egg. 2 quit 5 have hatched but for one reason or another these chicks aren't making it. I thought one would make it but I left the house for hour and when I came home there was the chick belly up in the brooder
he.gif
. It was the only one to clear the egg, the rest aren't even making it out of the egg. And it's not like I could help them either because they would pip, zip, then nothing... they never finished absorbing the yolk.
barnie.gif

Needless to say I'm sooo frustrated:he and I'm just praying the eggs I ordered will actually hatch.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom