Port Washington, WI
I have 11 birds right now.

2 Austrolaps
2 Star Red
3 EE
1 Plymouth Barred
1 Mille Fluer
2 Cochins

I am currently getting between 6 - 9 eggs a day even in the winter right now.

What I am hoping to do is up my count by possibly adding another 12 to 20 birds and start selling some eggs to people at work and around my home. People are already asking for more and I would love to accommodate as they are paying $1.50 for a 6 pack, $3.00 for a dozen and then beyond that I knock $0.50 off the price and they are selling like crazy.

I am looking for recommendations for best producers of Medium/Large, Cream/Brown colored eggs. My birds in the summer will be in groups of 10 - 12 in moveable tractors until winter when I move them to the coop and 3 sided shelter.

For what you want Rhode Island Reds, Black Stars or Red Stars would probably be your best bet for chickens.

Between my 3..

My Aussie and my Leghorn (both very low-quality crossbreeds) have laid almost daily since they started. Eggs almost fall into the extra large category :)
My ISA (Red Sex-link) has actually been less consistent (I was surprised) she has taken more days off and her eggs are a notably smaller, but still in the medium/large range

My RIR are being very productive now 10 eggs a day out of 12 hens and they have just started laying a month ago. They are very friendly and wonderful to be around. If I didn't want to go with RIR I would probobly go with the barred rocks. I hear they are wonerful as well. I'll probably get a few in the spring just to see.

I keep my chickens as pets and don't keep good track of laying, but the only laying hens I have right now are buff orpingtons. I like buff orpingtons because they have good personalities, lay nice big brown eggs, and tend to be friendly and funny to have around. I suppose they're my preferred layers--the rest of my flock (mostly) is made up of bantams!

I have the golden comets,even in winter they lay almost everyday.out of 19 hens I get 17/19 eggs everyday regardless of the weather,I love them.nice brown large eggs

For egg production you want Rhode Island Red, Red Stars, Gold Comets, Black Stars, Dominiques, or Barred Rock. They are all good layers and are hardy birds.

You already have two of the best laying breeds out of them all. The black australorps and the EE's are both great layers and it's easy to hatch out replacements every year and the roos can be butchered for eating. The sex links need to be crossed in order to get the good layers so in my books they aren't worth the hassle.
I've been hatching out replacements and only keeping a few good layers over the 2nd winter. This way I have a constant supply of eggs all year round. This springs pullets all started laying before last years started moulting and by the time they moult in the fall of 2010 my new spring pullets will be laying.....

Got to say I have an RIR and she has yet to start, coming on 31 weeks now... I think my BR and BO are the best brown layers... my bantam cochin is alright but small of coarse. My white leghorn is the best over all, she's not as flighty as my black leghorn who lays ok but not as good as the white.
The EEs are pretty good but they took longer to mature and less consistant than the BO and BR.

Back
Top Bottom